PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimps

reefNetWork
05/22/2006, 03:10 PM
i have read online that the skunk cleaner shrimps are found in groups. would 2 of them be fine in an 80 gallon tank? thanks

boomsticks
05/23/2006, 12:14 PM
Perfectly fine I have two in a 24 aquapod

AdidaKev
05/23/2006, 12:56 PM
Yep, two or even more would definitely be okay in a tank that size.

spawner
05/23/2006, 07:39 PM
Cleaner shrimp are not found in groups really. They are losely pair bonded. In the wild you see pictures of then in large groups, but this is more or less a cleaning station, and I would bet that if someone observed the "group" they would find that the group is more like a bunch of pairs. I can tell you that once they mature, if you have more than 2 in a small tank you will only have two in a short period of time. This is why you see many cleaner shrimp in pet shops and wholesalers that have cliped antennae.

tygger
05/25/2006, 06:53 AM
I'm afraid if I add one (not to mention two) cleaner shrimp to my tank, that it would starve to death. What do these guys eat??? I don't feed too heavily and it appears that most of the flakes get eaten up by the fish before they find their way into the rock/substrate.

ACBlinky
05/25/2006, 11:41 PM
They'll eat just about anything. I throw pellets into the tank at night, after the fish are asleep, and my cleaners scarf them down.

For a long time I kept a single skunk cleaner in my 30g, then read that they're great in pairs and any two together will become a m/fm pair. Two days after bringing my shrimp a mate (which I guess decided to become the male), she was carrying eggs. Now every few weeks the eggs hatch and the fish get a free snack :) I have noticed that her appetite has skyrocketed; making eggs must take a phenomenal amount of energy, I can't believe how much this shrimp eats!

kevin2000
05/29/2006, 06:55 AM
Not sure why .. but many would argue that two shrimp are better than one since they tend to be less shy when you have more than one.

tygger
05/29/2006, 11:38 AM
Would they have to be of similar type or could I get one cleaner and one peppermint or fire?

boomsticks
05/30/2006, 02:46 PM
No you can mix species usually with no problems just stay away from Coral Banded they tend to eat other shirmp. You know what's funny though that day I posted that I had two...well...one was trying to steal food from the BTA and didn't make it out...lol

shookbrad
06/05/2006, 09:31 PM
I have 3 in my 90 gallon with no problems. In fact a few weeks ago I noticed two of them pared off and now one of them has hundreds of eggs in it's belly.

RonD
06/06/2006, 12:56 PM
I have two in my tank and then both carry eggs.. is it only the females that carry them or ???

racrumrine
06/06/2006, 07:13 PM
I have had as few as 2 in a 25 and as many as 5 in a 180. If you have the same species, for me they all seem to get along and they all get pregnant and carry eggs.

On top of being scavengers, they will eventually figure out how to eat everything you feed your fish, including flake food.

It's good to get at least 2 of them because the babies will hatch every few weeks and provide live food for the rest of the critters in your tank.

Best of luck,

Roy