PDA

View Full Version : Is Cyano bacteria toxic or deadly?

daytonians
05/22/2006, 03:48 PM
I have been fighting Cyano for years. I'm just wondering. Is it toxic or dangerous for fish or inverts?

Amphiprion
05/22/2006, 03:56 PM
Some species definitely are. Whether or not any of those species occur in our aquaria in any real concentrations (or at all) or affect corals, I don't think anyone really knows.

ACBlinky
05/22/2006, 08:53 PM
I know it's controversial, but have you considered trying Erythromycin? I had a light but persistant outbreak that refused to completely go away after improving flow, reducing PO4 and NO3 and lots of manual removal. I finally decided to try Maracyn, even though I was wary. The tank is a FOWLR with a little Xenia and GSP, lots of crabs and fish. Three days of EM (Maracyn) cleared it up, and nothing showed the slightest sign of stress during treatment.

smorrow5773
05/22/2006, 09:00 PM
I second the above post...Maracyn 1/4 dose for 3 days and cyano has been gone for over 8 months now.

Sk8r
05/22/2006, 09:02 PM
I knocked mine with Chemi-clean, with corals and fish, and only noticed an effect on my pod population, which I now have to supplement. That was 2 months ago, and the stuff has not returned. But no, I have not found it toxic, unless that, and not the Chemi-clean, was what got the pods.

daytonians
05/23/2006, 08:26 AM
I have tried Maracyn and Chemi-clean. It just comes back.

I still wonder, is the kind common in reef tanks toxic?

cchoffman
05/23/2006, 08:41 AM
If you let it coat coral, it will kill it. I had a problem with it a while back and it coated some SPS and killed them quickly. If you have tried both Maracyn and Chemi-clean, and it keeps coming back, time to look at your water parameters.

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2006, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7417103#post7417103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Some species definitely are. Whether or not any of those species occur in our aquaria in any real concentrations (or at all) or affect corals, I don't think anyone really knows.

This is true. But the bulk of it has to be ingested to do much damage. Anatoxin A is just one of the toxins that can be produced by Cyanobacteria. Anatoxin A is most commonly found in stagnant, warm freshwater. But it is reportedly found in various marine Cyanobacteria. Though a case of actual Anatoxin A poisoning from a marine aquarium is extremely unlikely, caution should always be taken.

Anatoxin A (http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/AnatoxinA.html)

Symptoms: Limp paralysis leading to dyspnea, cyanosis, cardiac arrhythmia leading to death. Symptoms may resemble those of organophosphate nerve agent poisoning.

Onset of Symptoms: Within minutes (<5 min.).

Antidote: None available. Pretreatment with 2-PAM and
physostigmine have been effective in prophylaxis in animals

Supportive Care: Artificial respiration to support breathing, treatment of symptoms in survivors

Inavtivation: Anatoxin a is inactivated by strong sunlight

Site of Action: ....The result is an overstimulation of the muscle that leads to limp paralysis and death when the muscles of the chest responsible for breathing are affected

Source: Anatoxin a is synthesized by the blue-green alga (also known as a cyanobacterium) Anabena flos-aquae that is a common component of pond scum throughout the world that is commonly found as a bright green layer on stagnant water. Animals drinking water contaminated by these organisms have died in their thousands making a risk to wildlife and free-range livestock. It is possible that it could be manufactured in quantity by fermentation if suitable productive strains and culture condition could be found. It is suspected that the enzymes responsible for the biosynthesis of anatoxin a are carried on a plasmid, making real the possibilty of the genetic engineering of producer strains of more amenable organisms.

Agent Properties: ....It is unstable in strong sunlight with a half-life 1-2 hours. Its mode of action makes it an attractive agent for the study of nerve impulse transmission and as a starting point for the development of drugs for use in the treatment of a number of neurological diseases, including Alzheimer's disease.

The Beaut
05/23/2006, 08:54 AM
I have had cyano on two occasions in two different tanks, both times i used "red slime remover", same as chemi-clean. Both times the cyano was gone in a matter of hours and did not return. That being said, overfeeding and poor flow are usually the causes of a cyano out break. From what i undersatnd you cant keep using Erythromycin over and over again, as the cyano builds up and immunity to it. After you use it make sure you improve what caused it. It has worked for me both times with no ill effects on anything.

Agu
05/23/2006, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7421259#post7421259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daytonians
I have tried Maracyn and Chemi-clean. It just comes back.

I still wonder, is the kind common in reef tanks toxic?

When I had an unidentified slime algae I noticed higher than normal mortality of the snail population.

Could be coincidence, faulty observation, or the result of toxicity of the algae ? I don't know ..........

Amphiprion
05/23/2006, 10:12 AM
Anatoxin A(S) is a much more potent derivative of anatoxin A, which would be the form to worry about. There are still more toxic cyanobacterial toxins, such as saxitoxin, that are even more of a problem. Some species do release Aplysiatoxins, which would cause external complications. Once again, ingestion will play a large role, but can cause severe external inflammation. Most who produce this toxin are marine in origin, but I have no idea if/how they would affect corals.

daytonians
05/23/2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks Travis and Amphiprion!

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2006, 10:36 AM
It would probably depend on when and how deactivation occurs. Like with Anatoxin A, strong sunlight deactivates it. Thus, our metal halides should be able to break down the toxin (not the cyanobacteria, mind you) making the cyanobacteria less of a threat.

Saxitoxin and Brevetoxin, like many other marine toxins produced by dinoflagellates, usually need an intermidiate "host" per say. For example, shellfish that are contaminated during Red Tides and then consumed by humans are some of the largest leading factors of human poisoning by ingestion.

Anyone up for Oysters on a Half Shell? ;)

05/23/2006, 10:43 AM
If its toxic its fatal.

To get rid of Cyano, run some carbon, do some water changes/keep up with water changes. DOnt overfeed fishes...Dont get lazy;)

If you gonna feed heavy ur skimmer better be able to skim heavy as well.

I havent been running a skimmer since day one. And there is a ton of lighting due to the tank being next to a window.

Sam

dfcjr
05/23/2006, 06:01 PM
You probably have a phosphate problem. Maracyn will work but it will also kill off some of the nitrifying bacteria and you might go through a mini cycle. And if you dont rtemove the source of the phosphate it will most likely come back. I've been using a combination of polypads and Phosban in a canister filter to remove phosphates and the cyano went away after a week and hasn't been seen since. You can also try to reduce your light cycle, this sometimes helps. Good luck.

dfcjr
05/23/2006, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, if you're going to use a phosphate remover, I recommend Phosban. Its supposedly the only one that doesn't leech the phosphate back into the water.JTLYK.