PDA

View Full Version : Fish?

xlayedoutx
05/22/2006, 04:46 PM
This may be a stupid question but I was wondering how your fish get ich? Is it from buying from a bad LFS or buying from various places and one fish is infected.

Shouldn't most LFS's QT their new fish when they get them. I've never asked my LFS but they carry alot of fish. It would just make sense to me if they QT'd their new fish to keep from infecting everything. I mean the last thing I would want is people coming into my store and seeing the fish i'm trying to sell them sick with ich.

I only buy from one LFS and I've never seen any of their fish have ich. Is this because they take good care of them or could they be covering it up.

adnup
05/22/2006, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't most LFS's QT their new fish when they get them

Remember its a business...get'em in get'em out is the way alot of LFS's work. Good fish distributors are half of the battle, the quality of fish your LFS is buying:mixed:

davidhughes85
05/22/2006, 05:06 PM
yes

XtrmCHoPZ
05/24/2006, 08:30 PM
I see you live in CLovis...so do you buy your stuff from Aquatic Pets? The guy who runs that shop puts copper in his display/holding tanks so thats why you dont see ich.

Fish get ich because of many factors, shipping stress, holding tanks with ich, no QT, etc......

xlayedoutx
05/24/2006, 08:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7433025#post7433025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XtrmCHoPZ
I see you live in CLovis...so do you buy your stuff from Aquatic Pets? The guy who runs that shop puts copper in his display/holding tanks so thats why you dont see ich.

Fish get ich because of many factors, shipping stress, holding tanks with ich, no QT, etc......

Yeah I buy from aquatic pets.

I've been to Pet extreme and it seems that everytime I go in there they always have problems with something. They do sell Clowns for $9.99 but they never look healthy.

I went to Seven Seas one time and that guy in there just didn't seem to friendly, and his yellow tangs were almost white.

I've been to whities once and their water looked really nasty. My cousin buys from whities though and hasn't had a problem, but its clear across town for me. Aquatic Pets in only like a mile away from me.

Are their any other good shops in the area to check out.

Sk8r
05/24/2006, 09:06 PM
Do be careful not to get any water from a coppered tank into your system.

xlayedoutx
05/25/2006, 12:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7433260#post7433260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Do be careful not to get any water from a coppered tank into your system.

Yeah that was the first thing they told me when I bought the Chromis. As they were bagging them they made sure to tell me not to put any of their water in my tank.

XtrmCHoPZ
05/25/2006, 11:22 AM
THe only shops in Fresno/CLovis are: Aquatic Pets, Whities, 7 Seas, Pet Extreme, Petco, KAz's Tropical fish, Captive Critters, Aquatic Aggression, Kelleys PEt food and Petco.

Let me tell you what I think about each one.

Aquatic Pets: Brian is pretty good about giving you the right info on whatever you need, however, his employees sometimes dont know s%$t. His place is more reef oriented. THey dont seem to know too much about big fish, predators, etc. He does sometimes charge A LOT OF $$$$ for his stuff so shop wisely! I RARELY see fish there with diseases, but his holding tanks are usually cloudy because he puts so many fish into each one and theyre only run on the Eclipse system.....

Whities......: They are infamous for selling you ich. They dont have fish, they have ich that has fish....! The manager their doesnt know crap if you ask me. Seems like they order a bunch of fish every week and they dont care if they die. They sell to lots of people who are misinformed and they end up losing a lot of fish. I have never seen anyone who works there, besides this guy named Chris, ask questions to a customer regarding a purchase. They always have fish mislabled. They always have ich, and they always have fish dying. OH yeah and Whities is BY FAR the most expensive place for equipment in ALL of FResno/Clovis. I have found some good deals on fish there in the past but be careful, make sure you QT.

Seven Seas: The owner ( I think his name is Mark ) is actually friendly if you start talking to him. He is quite knowledgeable, however, just mainly with reefs. If youre looking for big fish dont even bother going there. His reef display tank are very nice. From what Ive seen his reef livestock is usually top notch.

Pet Extreme: THey rarely have healthy fish. Every once in a while they have something decent. However their aquatics staff doesnt know a thing if you ask me. I have asked them questions before and they dont know how to answer. EVERY SINGLE time I go in there I see multiple dead fish in their tanks, ich, popeye etc..... They never have their whole system up and running and their inverts look bad. They order fish that they dont have any business ordering or even selling. Most people that I have seen buy fish from there are very misinformed. One guy bought a powder blue tang, while he was paying for it, $70, it dies in the bag!!!!

Petco: Dont even get me started!!! Sorry, but HORRIBLE!!!! Always dead fish, disease, stupid staff.......

KAzs: At Mckinley and HY 41. He mostly specializes in tropicals and Africans but occasionally has some good SW finds. His shop is rather old but the guy is nice and freindly and will cut you deals. Dont expect it to look like Aquatic pets though!

Captive Critters: Maple & Behymer in Fresno, upper east side. Guys name is Bobby, he has lots of experience and his shop is getting better all the time. Sometimes has a good selection, but mostly just reef stuff. Fish are always healthy.

Aquatic Aggression: Maple & NEes in fresno. Owner is Jack. Very friendly. Specializes in aggressives and predators, but also carries some reef stuff. He goes down to LA almost every Monday and hand picks fish and inverts. If you want something in particular let him know, he will usually get it. Other shops in town claim to hand pick their livestock, but they dont trust me. Ive had him pick up several fish from LA before, and they were great looking. He mostly carries, triggers, puffers, eels, sharks and the like.
He sometimes in misinformed on some things, but generally is pretty good about stuff.

Kelleys: Ceday and Mckinley area, by train tracks. THey lots of tanks but the only things in them is Red Cyano. They have a few damsels and thats about it, hardly even worth going to.

Hope this help, if you got any more questions go ahead. Ive shopped at all of these places over the years for one thing or another, some are good some bad.

xlayedoutx
05/25/2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah the only one of Brian's employes that I talk to is Victor.