PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when I can only grow Montipora caps?

deputydog95
05/22/2006, 08:20 PM
Seriously, they grow like weeds in my tank. They're everywhere. I am now fragging and spreading them all over the place. However, nothing else seems to like my tank. I can keep other stuff alive, but very little growth.

Anyone seen this before? Does this indicate something that I am seriously doing wrong?

I will have an all monti tank before long.

Ti
05/22/2006, 08:51 PM
wat other sps u got?

damienkee
05/22/2006, 09:02 PM
ya! wish to kno beside of monti cap, wat else u have....;)

deputydog95
05/23/2006, 05:08 AM
i'm terrible with names. i'll take a few pics tonight.

srb5046th
05/24/2006, 03:25 PM
I think you should take most everything out of your tank and just grow mass amounts of montipora caps. Find every different color combination and collectible pieces and have the most bas-*** monti cap tank on the planet. You will be the guru of caps and people on this site will idolize you. Your name will become synominous with caps and you will be featured in books and articles. This reply is not sarcastic, I truley think it would be cool to have such a unique tank. I am interested to see the current pics of your tank.

ScotchMaster
05/24/2006, 04:29 PM
Id look at your params if I were you...Phosphates and ammonia are probably the things out of whack

deputydog95
05/24/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7431401#post7431401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ScotchMaster
Id look at your params if I were you...Phosphates and ammonia are probably the things out of whack

are you saying that caps thrive on phosphates and ammonia?

i guess that is what i was getting at. are these the chemicals that they prefer?

i haven't checked my numbers in a while. i have like 500 pounds of rock in there, so i'm not sweating the ammonia. the tank is several years old as well. the phosphates are a possibility though. i'll take a look at that first.

ScotchMaster
05/24/2006, 06:46 PM
No they dont thrive on ammonia/Phosphates but can handle it in my experiences...But Acros wont tolerate it...

Amphiprion
05/24/2006, 07:20 PM
Some Acropora species will tolerate ammonia, etc. quite easily--as well as other corals. It isn't the best for them (obviously), but many will tolerate it better than one would think.