PDA

View Full Version : 125g vs 92g

serpentman
05/22/2006, 08:30 PM
I have completely lost my mind! The 92g corner that I have had laying around is almost completely set up. However, I have been poking around the LFS and really like the look of a 125.

I know obiously the more gallons the better. However, other than that, I thought the longer length would allow more swimming room, etc. I guess I am looking for advice, do you think the added benefits tip the scale enough to justify the additional costs? Can someone talk me down, lol?

MadSkillzMan
05/22/2006, 08:37 PM
i cant talk you down, but i do see your in NE ohio. What store? lol

spoiledcats
05/22/2006, 08:48 PM
BIGGER=BETTER!:D

serpentman
05/22/2006, 08:56 PM
I've been to all of them. What has brought me to the edge is that I am down in Cinci this week and stopped by a store called Aquatics and Exotics to kill some time. What a nice setup they have! (Imagine the selection of Aquatic Technologies in an imacculate setup with prices significantly lower)

Anyway, they had a few 125's, 180's, 250's and 2 absolutely huge tanks set up and in pristine condition. Has made me rethink my setup....

yoboyjdizz
05/22/2006, 09:41 PM
I would go with the biggest tank you can afford now so you won't be kicking yourself later that you didnt! You don't have to set it up right away alot of the big tanks here take a while to be set up.

brownsugar
05/22/2006, 09:43 PM
I initially wanted a 6ft tank - 180 gallon but it meant i could get the tank but would have to sacrafice to a budget system

I went to a 5ft in the end a 150 gallon. But with that money i have spent money on a more decent system .

But of course bigger tank is always better water volume etc , i kinda regret it now but there always is a next time in this hobby you eventually get drawn into upgrading.

If its in your budget i say go for it, even if it isnt i say go for it , your going to upgrade to a 280 gallon or a 500 gallon in the future anyways hahahahahahahaha

MadSkillzMan
05/22/2006, 10:04 PM
ugh your in Cinci? I gotta get down there to pickup a part for my bigscreen tv..

Good luck on your quest for a tank

Oh, and if you come around the cleveland area...look for Odells Fish&more, and Something fishy. NOT much on saltwater fish, great on tropical. They can order you special fish at odells, just be there to pick it up when they ship in.

I go up there weekly to get crix for my bros lizards, and trade my random aquarium findings for store credit

slapshot16
05/23/2006, 06:09 AM
Hey Clevelanders!

serpentman
05/23/2006, 08:14 AM
I live in Cleveland (actually Mentor). Unfortunately, I travel for business and had to spend a few days in Cinci.

I think I am going to pursue the 125. I just set up the 92 so I would like to make the switch before its stocked.

Now to convince my wife to let me spend the $$. I have already spent a small fortune!

Feather Duster
05/23/2006, 03:52 PM
It will be easier to upgrade now than after you get the tank going.

If you upgrade, how much more will it cost too maintain? Probably not a lot more. If you can do it, I think you should.

MadSkillzMan
05/23/2006, 04:06 PM
You could im sure, trade the 92 in after you empty it, and make a good buck back. 92's, according to the LFS"s around here, are quite rare.

Also, do you know WHERE in ohio we can find:
Southdown/Oldcastle Sand?
and Pickling lime! i want to try start dosing Kalkwasser

BTW, we have a cleveland saltwater club, CSea, we're on this forum, go down to Clubs. We meet monthly at the cleveland zoo. They really helped me out.

serpentman
05/23/2006, 05:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7424187#post7424187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MadSkillzMan
You could im sure, trade the 92 in after you empty it, and make a good buck back. 92's, according to the LFS"s around here, are quite rare.

Also, do you know WHERE in ohio we can find:
Southdown/Oldcastle Sand?
and Pickling lime! i want to try start dosing Kalkwasser

BTW, we have a cleveland saltwater club, CSea, we're on this forum, go down to Clubs. We meet monthly at the cleveland zoo. They really helped me out.

I figured the 92g would be worth something. Its a nice tank. For some reason, I think I would prefer the old fashioned rectangular shape. One issue I have is with the 92 is the very limited space underneath. Where it is located, I cannot plumb the filter into another room. Another drawback is that it isn't predilled.

Any idea which store might take trade-ins?

As far as oldcastle sand, the Walmart in Mentor has Oldcastle White Tropical Sand. Not sure if its the right stuff though. Be interested if you find a source for pickling lime.

Also, I just found the forum to CSea and am planning on attending the next meeting.