PDA

View Full Version : Can Clams color up after Purchase?

falconut
05/23/2006, 07:09 AM
I was wondering if Clams (Crocea or Maxima) will color up or are they usually what you see is what you get? I see them at my LFS, but they aren't as colorful as the ones I see online.

I was wondering if they maybe just don't have them under the best water conditions and lighting and if they might color up under my lighting and tank conditions? Also, they call them 1st grade if that means anything.

Thanks,
Craig

Froggy
05/23/2006, 07:58 AM
IMO yes they can. This also depends on the situation they are in now and for how long. If your tank is a better environment than the one they are in now and it has been in the stores tank for a while then you have a good chance on seeing improvement in coloration. Also lighting color spectrum has a lot to do with how the color represents itself to the eye. Some clams will look a bit faded under different lighting schemes. Blue maximas and Croceas may look green under certain lighting and blue with others.

Kaiser Tang
05/23/2006, 08:08 AM
It's kinda like trying to change your spouse after you marry them. Can it happen? Yes, but don't bet on it! :)

Travis L. Stevens
05/23/2006, 08:14 AM
That's such a horrible analogy, Kaiser.

But true...

Anemonebuff
05/23/2006, 08:17 AM
True, but Der Kaiser is correct.