PDA

View Full Version : Question about wave makers....

Fusch13
05/23/2006, 07:37 AM
Hi all.....Posted a few times, but been reading a lot. I am not new to the saltwater tank scene, been around 5 yrs, but had a tank die-off which put me into 6 mo shock....Well, im back, adding some new equipment tomorrow (ASM g4+, Blue line calcium reactor, & Kent Marine Phosphate reactor). I am very excited about getting my reef tank up and running again. The question i have is i currently have three maxijet pumps (2 1200's & 1 900). I do not have them on a wavemaker as of yet. Ive been doing a lot of reading on different products on the market..redsea, wavysea...any recommendations? Personal accounts? any help would be great...

Thanks

Fusch13
05/23/2006, 09:45 AM
No one has any thoughts on wavemakers?

Fizz71
05/23/2006, 11:00 AM
I like my Sea Swirl. I run it on a closed loop. I'm not a big fan of power head wavemakers mainly because I think power heads take up too much tank space. I get killer flow rate with limited intrusion. The only downside is keeping the intake to my closed loop clear of debris since it's moving a lot of water in a 1" tube.

I run 2 closed loops, one on a sea swirl, one on a spray bar on the left wall. I get a nice circle in the tank and random fluctuations from the sea-swirl.

--Fizz

Fusch13
05/23/2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks Fizz....kinda think the same thing on the powerheads being obtrusive.....was looking for something to replace those.....I was looking at the Wavysea product, but now i have to look at Sea Swirl also...thanks

Fizz71
05/23/2006, 12:51 PM
The best low-cost product would be the SCWD (pronounced SQUID). I've never used one but have seen them in action. They run on closed loops too..or a power-head if you run it in the tank which I would NEVER do. Anyway..the SCWD is a alternating wave source....the Sea Swirl is a rotating one. If you do get a SS, whatever you do..DON'T impeded the rotation. They motors burn out real quick if you do...I burned my first one out in a few days by accident..they replaced it and only cost me shipping..been running over a year now since with no concerns.

--Fizz

Fusch13
05/23/2006, 01:25 PM
thanks again, found a diy project which looks similar to the Sea Squirl..