PDA

View Full Version : Red/Orange Angler reef safe?

thorsen
05/23/2006, 09:35 AM
I really like the extraterestrial look of angler fish and would love to add one to my reef tank. I looked into getting one and read that an angler can and will eat anything it can get into it's mouth, which would logically make it a very poor candidate for a reef. I was looking through the fish on liveaquaria.com wistfully however, and noticed they listed the red/orange angler as reef safe, and by in large most of their recommendations as to reef safe lean on the catious side. I also saw a very large red/oarge angler in a beautiful reeftank at my LFS that was filled with a lot of other small fish. Is an Angler reef safe or is lifeaquaria and my LFS just confused? Do the fish and crustaceans somehow manage to avoid the angler?

Texsun
05/23/2006, 06:21 PM
There should be an * by that meaning that frogfish are technically reef safe as in they will not bother coral. However, they well consume conspecifics, other fish, shrimp, etc up to twice their size. If you do go ahead with one, keep it alone in a reef tank.

Wolverine
05/23/2006, 06:42 PM
That LFS probably has fewer fish in that tank than they started with. Many people keep frogfish in smaller reefs that contain only the frogfish.

The other problem you can run into is that sometimes they will perch on corals.

Dave