PDA

View Full Version : i bought a sick fish. help me save it!

goda
05/23/2006, 02:17 PM
ok well at big als today there were two fish in the coral tank
one was really near death ( didnt have the energy to swim much except when touched) the other was starved ( piched belly .. literaly skin and bones.... it was like <---- < being hte head then ---- being the body.. but still swimming it was sad
anyways
according to the guys there it was a scooter blenny and they said it is impossiable to get them to eat food except pods( is this true.)
anyways i decided to buy the one that was still 'active' ( for two bucks ) .. i wanted both but the idiot didnt want to mark the other one down and decided to grab him with his hand and throw him in a tank with a lil more rock.... not like it will help since he wont move i was planning on( if he let me buy it) putting it in a small holding tank and bringing the pods to him .. sad

well the one that i was able to buy i have aclimating right now
and i plan to put him in my 55 gallon fuge ( plenty of pods)

any tips?

if i do get him back to health im going to probobly have to sell him or give him to some one ( any one want a scooter blenny?)
since i cant keep him cause i have a lawnmowerblenny and i know they dont get along ( my lawnmower blenny came from the same tank that these 2 fish were in about a week ago and they always were chasing eachother)
or do you think they will get along in a 130?

Sk8r
05/23/2006, 03:16 PM
I've had lawnmowers and scooters in a 100 with no trouble. Probably a function of small tank.

In general, beware of buying sick fish and particularly beware of putting them in your tank, because you don't know what they might bring to your other fish. Dragonettes (he is a scooter dragonette, not a true blenny, I think) are pretty ich-free, thank goodness. They generally subsist wholly on pods, but some scooters will take other food. If you have a lot of pods, he might make it. You might try him on cyclopeeze, later.

And don't patronize that store again and tell them why you don't.

goda
05/23/2006, 03:48 PM
i usualy get ****ed when seeing stuff like this but the store generaly does a good job for the amount of fish it carrys. and the people there admit when they dont know somthing. ( maintance guy helped me get my coral and he said " im the maintance guy and i dont know anything about saltwater so if you have questions ill get some one who knows more" thats always good to hear
the store is bigals in tamerac florida. and out of the thousands of gallons of tanks they have and throusands of fish they have. i only saw 2 fish that wernt doing well. ( the 2 mentioned in the last post)

they seem to know what there doing. they have corals that have been tehre for a few months and are still perfectly colored.
only thing i dont like about hte store is the public aquarium feel. and parents bring kids in and usualy buy stuff they cant handle.

i would normaly QT but since this fish came from the same system as the fish i got less then a week ago i see no real need. ( also i let my nano crash so i dont have a qt any more)

anyways do you think that he would like brine shrimp ? cause theres a store near here that sells them live.

also my refuge currently dosnt have light. think he will care. he does get a lil light from the main tank's lights bouncing off the back wall in the room with my sump
if i decide to keep him i guess i could give him a new tank and plump it into my main ^^ any excuse for more water right :P