PDA

View Full Version : pic of new RBTA and other BTAs (and clowns)

FishWife1
05/23/2006, 03:04 PM
They all seem to be doing very well and the clowns are delighted with all the BTAs. I picked up the rose the other day at one of the local lfs. It had been turned in by someone who was breaking down his tank so it had been in a tank for quite a while. It was tightly attached to a large pc. of Tonga branch which I didn't want so they cut off the piece he was on. It's not that large yet but the color is great and it eats really well. I've been feeding the large Piscine Energetics mysis and some krill each day. My other anemones have been taking it well, too.

My female skunk goes between the two larger anemones and the smaller male hangs out in the rose. He's much smaller and gentler than she is and the anemone doesn't seem to mind his attention at all.

I really wanted a Crispa and had received one from Drs. Foster & Smith. It was gorgeous when it arrived but it never attached and within 3 days it was dead. I decided to just go with BTAs - much better bet for survival - and the clowns are very happy.

here are pics:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/lbouton1/clowntank1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/lbouton1/entireclowntankmay2006.jpg

As with so many BTAs they were all nicely bubbled until the clowns started paying attention to them. Oh well, as long as their color stays good and they seem happy that's all I care about.

Laurie

Fishfreak218
05/23/2006, 03:52 PM
can you give us a little bit of info about your set-up???

FishWife1
05/23/2006, 05:21 PM
Sure, 30 gal. cube with Finnex 24" fixture w/ 150 HQI 14K Phoenix plus 2X24W T5 actinics. Built in overflow at back of tank down to 10 gal. sump (old Amiracle set-up) w/Tunze Nano Skimmer and an Eheim 1260 return pump (about 400-425 gph). I have one MJ900 in there right now for extra circulation but may rig up something else later since I don't like powerheads.

About 30 lbs of lr and one 20 lb. bag of aragasand. I've been seeding the sandbed from my other tank and have lots of good bugs running around.. Besides the clowns I have an algae blenny, a sand-sifting star, and a big old serpent star who keeps to himself in the back of the tank, only reaching out to grab some food. There's also a pistol shrimp who was deported from my 12 gal. for being too aggressive with the smaller fish. I haven't seen him since the move but I hear him snap once in a while.

I'm using Oceanic salt because I like the fact that it keeps my calcium and alk at good levels.

I might stick another anemone in there and I plan to put in some lps.

All in all a nice small tank. If I had to do it over again I would buy the tank but not the stand - very limited with what I could use for a sump.

That's about it.

Laurie

Fishfreak218
05/23/2006, 06:13 PM
thank you VERY much!!! just the info i was looking for..
how do you like your eheim return pump??
See im about ready to start setting up my 30g. cube :) lol
and i dont know which return pump to get (Mag Drive, Queit One, or Eheim)..and for a sump i am limited to either a 10g. or a 15H (i'll probably go with the 15g.).. i know what you mean about the stand.. very limited...
good luck with your tank.. it is REALLY beautiful

FishWife1
05/23/2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks - I love the Eheim pump. Very, very quiet once you eliminate the vibration. And from what I understand they are real workhorses. I am eventually going to upgrade to the 1262 - just not quite enough flow with the head loss with the 1260. But I am going to have to widen the spaces between the teeth in my overflow first. The 1260 is almost topping them out. I have a 1" drain but the box won't be able to handle anymore. Hence the MJ900. Fortunately with the black back it's not that noticable. I have both return directional nozzles slightly above the water level and pointed up so that they really break the surface. For some reason I get better circulation than if they are pointed down into the tank. Plus I can increase the water level in the sump which will improve the operation of the Tunze skimmer (which is terrific, BTW, nice dry foam and completely silent). All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The only change I would make is the overflow box. Looking forward to adding more stuff.

Laurie

SEAFLOWERS
05/24/2006, 05:57 AM
Have you ever thought of doing a nem species tank?

boomsticks
05/24/2006, 08:20 AM
Beautiful BTA's! I have one that I named Jerk. He just killed my birdsnest coral last night and constantly hunts my Flame scallop.

FishWife1
05/26/2006, 09:01 AM
Hi - I did think about doing a species tank but I really like lps and my other tank (12 nanocube) is maxed out. I want to get a few more Acans and a brain or 2 -some nice colorful stuff. I stuck a hunk of xenia that I pulled out of the 12 in there for some movement but that's the only softie I plan on (at least for the moment :p - yah never know). I'm really enjoying these clowns and they're really enjoying their new friends.

Can't find my lawnmower blenny but he's not on the floor around the tank anywhere. I'm going to take a look in the sump, hope he's in there. Otherwise, I have a feeling one of the cats had a fish dinner.:rolleye1:

Laurie