PDA

View Full Version : Help & really FAST! SALINITY LEVEL AT 1.030!

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:01 PM
Ofcourse i am using a hydrometer. I was preparing to do a water change and tested the salt level. I Know the hydrometer is not the most accurate, however, It is close. How Can I lower? I have added fresh RO water-no change! I need to mix my water for a water change-can I lower the level in the new water to balance it out? Someone please help!
For the record- everything is OK except my GBTA- he is not happy. :eek2:

iCam
05/23/2006, 07:04 PM
Keep up topping off with freshwater. You don't want to bring the salinity down too much too fast, though, so you don't shock the livestock anymore. Keep in mind, some corals come from water with a SG of around 1.028, but it's still important to bring it down.

Another suggestion: get a refractometer! You can get one online for probably around 40$, and it's an extremely important piece of equipment.

affan
05/23/2006, 07:05 PM
Something very basic here but when using the hydrometer, did you tap out the bubbles that may have been trapped inside to give you a false reading? If you're absolutely sure that your salinity is at 1.030, then whatever means you employ to bring it to within range, do it gradually. You do not want to have that kind of a swing in your salinity within a short period of time.

HTHs.

PS> A subscription to High Times may reduce the severity of future issues such as this :smokin:

whiteshark
05/23/2006, 07:10 PM
I definitely second the refractometer. My old hydrometer read 1.026, but when I got the refract it read 1.030! You can make the water change water lower to even it out. As stated above, lower the salinity slowly.

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425264#post7425264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iCam
Keep up topping off with freshwater. You don't want to bring the salinity down too much too fast, though, so you don't shock the livestock anymore. Keep in mind, some corals come from water with a SG of around 1.028, but it's still important to bring it down.

Another suggestion: get a refractometer! You can get one online for probably around 40$, and it's an extremely important piece of equipment.

Thanks-already added a gallon of top-off. My next purchase-a refractometer!!!! Been puttin it off until tonight. This is the 1st time it has been that high!

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425268#post7425268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
Something very basic here but when using the hydrometer, did you tap out the bubbles that may have been trapped inside to give you a false reading? If you're absolutely sure that your salinity is at 1.030, then whatever means you employ to bring it to within range, do it gradually. You do not want to have that kind of a swing in your salinity within a short period of time.

HTHs.

PS> A subscription to High Times may reduce the severity of future issues such as this :smokin:

Yep-always make sure no bubbles. High Times? Not ever heard of it but will Check it out!!! Guess I will put water change off another day. Never witnessed this before!

TOURKID
05/23/2006, 07:20 PM
*grinningfromeartoear* heh... hightimes :D

Just keep adding freshwater slowly... Try to always kep salinity on the dot the same. You most likely had evaporation and you added more salt water but when water evaporates the salt stays in the water, so you top off with fresh

ps- make sure that fresh water your putting in there is close to the same temputure :)

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425371#post7425371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
*grinningfromeartoear* heh... hightimes :D

Just keep adding freshwater slowly... Try to always kep salinity on the dot the same. You most likely had evaporation and you added more salt water but when water evaporates the salt stays in the water, so you top off with fresh

ps- make sure that fresh water your putting in there is close to the same temputure :)
The fresh RO water may have been a couple of degrees higher but that is it. Ofcourse, here in the south with the temp higher evaporation is daily! I try to top off every 2 days tho I can get lazy after a difficult day-NO MORE! I have way to much invested to lose what I have to laziness. Hurricanes_I can't help except with Ice and a generator. Still watching- will slowly keep up adding fresh RO water then will mix new water... Thanks for the adcise-EVERYONE!

Chicago
05/23/2006, 07:40 PM
when doing this... make sure to monitor your alk and ph levels.. also mnight want to check your mag and other parameters... go very slowly...... it problably been that high for some time? slowllllllly...

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425512#post7425512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chicago
when doing this... make sure to monitor your alk and ph levels.. also mnight want to check your mag and other parameters... go very slowly...... it problably been that high for some time? slowllllllly...

You are right! never put all that together. Been wondering if my salt has something to do with it-Instant Ocean. My son believes in it. Can't measure mag. but I know I can't grow xenia. This hobby gets really complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :hmm5: :hmm6: Almost 1-1/2 years and I AM STILL

ANNIESREEF
05/23/2006, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425555#post7425555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ANNIESREEF
You are right! never put all that together. Been wondering if my salt has something to do with it-Instant Ocean. My son believes in it. Can't measure mag. but I know I can't grow xenia. This hobby gets really complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :hmm5: :hmm6: Almost 1-1/2 years and I AM STILL @#*&%+(*"?<hIT THE DARN BUTTON TO QUICK. I was going to say-I learn something everyday!

affan
05/23/2006, 10:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425579#post7425579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ANNIESREEF
@#*&%+(*"?<hIT THE DARN BUTTON TO QUICK. I was going to say-I learn something everyday!

You apparently don't need that subscription. :smokin:

Sk8r
05/23/2006, 10:47 PM
As it didn't likely get into that condition overnight, it can't be fixed fast: just slow and steady. Whatever lived through the shift will live through the change back to normal as long as it's gentle.

sloshes
05/23/2006, 10:56 PM
With a small tank like that it won't be to hard to drop it down. Unless you have one of the nice glass hydrometers or an accurately calibrated refractometer, I'd take a small sample to a reliable LFS. When mine got real high, because of a bad hydrometer(or error), I just filled my 5 gallon jug with 50/50 FW/SW for the next couple of changes and got it back in line.

BTW, I'd pay for some Freak Brothers mags.

affan
05/23/2006, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7426863#post7426863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sloshes
When mine got real high

When was this? :smokin:

sloshes
05/23/2006, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7426883#post7426883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
When was this? :smokin:

"BTW, I'd pay for some Freak Brothers mags"

It happens, my friend, it happens.

ANNIESREEF
05/24/2006, 06:59 AM
It is down to 1.028 this morning. I am going to borrow my sons Hydrometer and see if there is a difference in readings.
Guess the water change will wait. Oh, will be ordering a refractor shortly.