PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae, what to do?

reefchiquita
05/23/2006, 10:59 PM
I have a 2 month 180g tank....I just noticed perhaps a handful of pearly dark green clear spheres attached to my LR which I think is now bubble algae. What is the best way to get rid of these as I was reading up that they can grow rapidly and be quite a nuisance? Trying to pull the rocks out of the tank will be quite a challenge if it is a must, as they are key rocks in the set up. Should I expect to see it bloom rapidly and what to do if it gets out of control? Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

Sk8r
05/23/2006, 11:08 PM
It will bloom as much as it has the means to do so. As new as your tank is, hopefully this will not be huge. I have the same problem in a 6 month old tank, and I'm just not touching it for exactly the same reason. I put cheato in the sump with a light (with craft embroidery canvas to keep it out of the pump.) This seems to be lessening it. On a young tank phosban is probably overkill, besides the bubble stuff doesn't seem to be as directly linked to phosphate as, say, hair algae. It can get pretty bad, but if it does, about time to start doing something like tracking phosphate and trying to do something about it. Absolutely nothing eats it---emerald crabs, rabbits, all no-goes. Just be patient. Every variety of algae has a go for a while and then draws back and dies off, to make ready for the next chance spore that floats through the water. It's a real good reason for never letting fish store water get into your tank. :)

Blown 346
05/23/2006, 11:09 PM
Since it is a new setup tank, algae spurts are normal along with bubble algae. To get rid of them you have to find out what is causing them to grow. High phosphate, nitrate, proteins in the water will cause this.
You have to lower this to get rid of it. If you arent using Ro water than that should be the first thing to change. Second I would do a waterchange.
A good skimmer will also help remove extra proteins the tank doesnt need.

tanku
05/23/2006, 11:13 PM
when you do your water changes, use a 5/8" id vinyl hose and suck the valonia into your waste water. do this from now on and you will keep it under control. if the bubbles are to big to fit through the hose, remove them by hand or pop them with the hose and make sure you leave it there for a few seconds to suck up the spores. good luck

Asuran
05/24/2006, 08:08 AM
when i remove the ones that pop up periodically my sailfin tang eagerly awaits new by for a snack... he doenst pick them off the rocks but will eat them if its in the water column... found this out one time when i was taking out the bubble and it got blown out of my hand by a PH and my tang swooped in for a snack

reefchiquita
05/24/2006, 02:30 PM
There are now many more that are catching my eye now. I do use RO water and have cheato in my sump. It may be phosphates as I find hair algae in my sand bed a problem now too...thanks guys!