PDA

View Full Version : Who is really the host?

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 07:34 AM
Everybody says their clowns host this or that. But isn't it really the thing they are in that is the host? And the clown is the 'guest'. Or do I just have it all backwards? Maybe the clown is actually the host cause it brings the food to the anemone or whatever? Just curious, maybe a dumb question, but one that I have always wondered about.:confused:

boilermaker1
05/24/2006, 07:39 AM
I think its a 2 way street.
Anemone provides a "home" for the clowns, the clowns bring the anemone food.

Steven Pro
05/24/2006, 08:15 AM
The bringing food part might be overstated. That is still in debate. But, clownfish do keep butterflyfish and other potential anemone predators away.

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 08:21 AM
The bringing food part might be overstated. That is still in debate. But, clownfish do keep butterflyfish and other potential anemone predators away.

My clown spends it's time in my large mushrooms. And I have seen it actually place food in the mushroom. When I did have anemones, I always saw the clowns bring food to the anemone. However, I couldn't keep them alive in my tank, so I won't try anymore. Anyway, the clown seems happy in the mushrooms.

Steven Pro
05/24/2006, 08:34 AM
They do stuff food in their host. The debate centers around whether or not they are attempting to feed the host or simply trying to hide/store extra food for themselves to eat later.

smleee
05/24/2006, 08:42 AM
It seems to be used as a verb and a noun. The anemone is a "host" (noun). The clowns "host" (verb) in the anemone.

eee

RichConley
05/24/2006, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7428376#post7428376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
It seems to be used as a verb and a noun. The anemone is a "host" (noun). The clowns "host" (verb) in the anemone.

eee

Right, but the anemone also 'hosts' the clowns.

The clowns hosting in the anemone is the biggest stretch here.

reefcapnnick
05/24/2006, 09:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7428526#post7428526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Right, but the anemone also 'hosts' the clowns.

The clowns hosting in the anemone is the biggest stretch here.

The verb host is often used that way when referring to parasites or virii.

I.e., the parasite "hosts" in a larger organism.

It can be used both ways...

Not to say clowns are parasites. They're symbiotic buddies!

omni2226
05/24/2006, 09:48 AM
Well I have no clue on the verb/noun thing , but on the food.

My clown in QT had a pink plastic cup as a host. She would grab the bigger chunks of food and stash them behind the cup. Hording a stash of late night snacks or feeding a plastic cup?
Mmmm I dont know.

One benefit I see now that she is in a BTA in the main display is "cleaning" the nem. Her wiggling/snuggling motion keeps all the slime/gunk off the nem and it seems to have perked up a bit. Or its just my old eyes getting worse....

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 10:03 AM
My clown in QT had a pink plastic cup as a host. She would grab the bigger chunks of food and stash them behind the cup. Hording a stash of late night snacks or feeding a plastic cup?

Did the clown go back later and eat the food? That would be a good way to find out the motives of the fish. Sounds like 'Science Fair' material to me.:)

omni2226
05/24/2006, 10:18 AM
I would see her go back once in a while and pick the food up ( small chunks of shrimp is what it was) swim around a bit then stash it again.
I usally removed it after a an hour or so to keep it from rotting in the tank. Mmm be a good experiment to try.
I assume that sooner or later she would have eaten it. In the wild water motion would carry it away unless the anemone had eaten it.
Maybe someone who reads this has a clown in QT that could do some testing for us?

omni2226
05/24/2006, 10:23 AM
Now that I think about it, only food chunks that are too big to swallow right away were stashed. Small mouth sized bits were wolfed down.

So maybe feeding the anemone is actually just a accident/byproduct of the clown's hording instinct?

Will we ever know? Ahh the mysterys of life. Or just useless trivia depending on how ya look at it I guess :)

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 10:28 AM
Will we ever know? Ahh the mysterys of life. Or just useless trivia depending on how ya look at it I guess

Yeah, but the one who knows the most useless trivia always wins on Jeopardy!:thumbsup:

reefgeek84
05/24/2006, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7428321#post7428321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
They do stuff food in their host. The debate centers around whether or not they are attempting to feed the host or simply trying to hide/store extra food for themselves to eat later.

If its the latter, that probably frustrates the hell out of the clown...He'll come back for a midnight snack and go where did my food go, I put it here about 4 hours ago and its gone!? I know I put it right here, where did it go? Food does not just disappear or grow legs and walk away. :rollface: :lol:

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 01:51 PM
Food does not just disappear or grow legs and walk away.

In my house it does. We call this mystery ANDREW!:rolleye1:

SEAFLOWERS
05/24/2006, 02:35 PM
Do you bring back food from the supermarket to feed your house or do you bring it back so you can have it for later?

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 03:00 PM
Do you bring back food from the supermarket to feed your house or do you bring it back so you can have it for later?

If my house was alive I would feed it.

reefgeek84
05/24/2006, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7430912#post7430912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoiledcats
If my house was alive I would feed it.

You and me both, I would be scared if it was hungry, I would be a snack. That would be a bad night and interesting news story....

"House eats host"

spoiledcats
05/24/2006, 07:03 PM
You and me both, I would be scared if it was hungry, I would be a snack. That would be a bad night and interesting news story....

:eek1: :eek2:

So am I hosting my house? Or is my house the host?:crazy1: