PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead to pvc question

Toledofishguy
05/24/2006, 07:52 AM
I am setting-up a tank using the All-Glass overflow kit. The bulkheads are 1" (drain), and 3/4" (return). I'd like to set-up an all PVC plumbing system (no vinyl tubing). What's got me vexed is how to connect PVC to the bulkhead. It has no inside threads and no pvc fitting to fit the outside. How do I go from bulkhead to PVC? It fits perfectly, do I just prime and glue it?

eckrynock
05/24/2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, the pvc fits inside the bulkhead, just glue it in. Don't forget to add a union somewhere (preferably right below your bulkhead) so you can detach your sump from your main tank if you ever need to.

Toledofishguy
05/24/2006, 08:07 AM
I was going to go bulkhead, 4 inches of pvc, elbow, pvc through the wall, elbow, pvc into sump which is behind the wall. Are you saying I should add a union fitting above the elbow or right off the bulkhead before the pvc. The bulkhead I have does not have inside threads and I cannot find a proper sized fitting to thread on the outside.

eckrynock
05/24/2006, 08:14 AM
Yes, before the elbow. All I'm saying is once you glue that pvc into the bulkhead, it's not coming out. So, if you ever have to move your tank, without a union you will be moving pvc, elbow, pvc THROUGH WALL!, elbow, pvc with your tank! That's the only reason I suggested a union.

scarter
05/24/2006, 08:20 AM
just remember that the bulk heads are not made of pvc. just make sure you prime both pieces well and use LOTS of glue. dont be impatient and let it dry for two days. because the buld head wont soak up the glue like pvc does.

Toledofishguy
05/24/2006, 08:20 AM
Got it, so I do NOT glue the union just slip one side into the pvc and the other into the elbow. Is there anything else I can do as a precaution to a leak.

I like your avatar. I took my 2 year old to see it this weekend.

Toledofishguy
05/24/2006, 08:21 AM
Last thing. Unions are stardard? Can I grab them at home depot or should I go to a plastics shop?