PDA

View Full Version : css 65 just went up what to do

rsxs1212
05/24/2006, 05:20 PM
OK my css 65 just went up... there is a leak. all the bubbles now flow into the tank so the skimmer cant be run. I am leaving tomorow night for MD and i wont be back until monday night. i have candycane,mushroom,zoos, and a silver type coral. WIll everything be OK during tomorow through tuesday without a skimmer or should i go out and buy a new one tomorow. If i should buy a new one what kind should i get??? i dont want to get the css 65 again if its going to do this again.

reefgeek84
05/24/2006, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7431705#post7431705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsxs1212
OK my css 65 just went up... there is a leak. all the bubbles now flow into the tank so the skimmer cant be run. I am leaving tomorow night for MD and i wont be back until monday night. i have candycane,mushroom,zoos, and a silver type coral. WIll everything be OK during tomorow through tuesday without a skimmer or should i go out and buy a new one tomorow. If i should buy a new one what kind should i get??? i dont want to get the css 65 again if its going to do this again.

what bubbles...from the exit of the skimmer, micro bubbles are an issue with this skimmer and quite a few others.

rsxs1212
05/24/2006, 05:51 PM
yes micro bubbles

reefgeek84
05/25/2006, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7431894#post7431894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsxs1212
yes micro bubbles

Alot of skimmers, do this. there is nothing wrong with it.

rsxs1212
05/25/2006, 11:21 AM
i must say that i disagree. i know some bubbles come out and they did when it was running normal. The problem is that the bubbles dont go into the skimmer itself, the just go straight into the tank. I got some aquarium safe all glass aquarium sealant to seal the hole. hopefully this fixes it.

8BALL_99
05/25/2006, 12:33 PM
I dont really understand your problem... There is noway for the bubbles to go straight through to the tank without passing through the skimmer chamber.. At anyrate If the pump still runs and the Acrlic is in one peice then there is no reason to buy a new skimmer.. You just need to adjust it. A picture would help.. But as far as not running a skimmer for a few days thats NP at all.. At one time noone even used skimmers... With a 50gallon tank it really doesn't matter.. Just check the water when you get back to make sure you dont need to do a water change...

rsxs1212
05/25/2006, 12:42 PM
yeah i just did a water change now so i am kind of fresh for the weekend. ill get a picture up in a second. be right back!!

reefgeek84
05/25/2006, 12:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7436846#post7436846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 8BALL_99
I dont really understand your problem... There is noway for the bubbles to go straight through to the tank without passing through the skimmer chamber.. At anyrate If the pump still runs and the Acrlic is in one peice then there is no reason to buy a new skimmer.. You just need to adjust it. A picture would help.. But as far as not running a skimmer for a few days thats NP at all.. At one time noone even used skimmers... With a 50gallon tank it really doesn't matter.. Just check the water when you get back to make sure you dont need to do a water change...

Thank god!!! I am not crazy...

rsxs1212
05/25/2006, 12:50 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/97142skimmer.jpg

rsxs1212
05/25/2006, 12:51 PM
you see how the whole chamber is filled with bubbles... when it was working properley it was about 3-4 inches from bottom....im not contradicting your advice but there is definately a problem

DiViNeLeFT
05/25/2006, 01:13 PM
my CSS65 does this when i do a waterchange or when i clean the glass and there are a lot of particles floating in the water... it will usually correct itself though after the water gets aerated or the particles in the water settle.

when i set my CSS up though i had to make a lot of ajustments to get it working perfectly. one thing that can cause the problem you are having is if the pump is to low from the surface of the water. the way i understand it is the lower the pump is in the water, the harder it is to pull air into the needlewheel.. with less air than water in the reaction chamber, the flow of water is to great and sucks all the air bubbles to the bottom and out into the tank. i would try raising the pump closer to the water surface.

DiViNeLeFT
05/25/2006, 01:15 PM
also try this link... he took all the good info from the huge RC thread about the CSS and compiled it so it is useful.

http://www.tylermerrick.com/index.php?page=css_notes

rsxs1212
05/25/2006, 03:04 PM
thanks so much... i raised the skimmer up higher and it works perfectly now!! its amazing how it can work then stop then you have to adjust it then it works again....thank you so much everone you have no idea how much more releaved i feel now that im going away