PDA

View Full Version : I just can't get my nitrates down and algae problem.

lonestar1
05/24/2006, 08:50 PM
I have a major hair algae problem all over my live rock. I have a major clean up crew in there, but they just can't seem to make a dent in the problem. What should I add to get ahead of this algae problem?

Also, I just can't seem to get my nitrates below 25. Any suggestion as how to lower this? Any products to use. My phosphates are .03,

Thanks

garyw68
05/24/2006, 08:56 PM
what type of water or you using.....tap....ro/di...? also 25 for nitrates is not than bad. I have 25 in my tank and all is good. No algae and plenty of coralline growth. How long are you leaving your lights on? Your PO4 at .03 is good.

lonestar1
05/24/2006, 08:58 PM
I have my lights on for 10 hours. I use only ro/di water.

garyw68
05/24/2006, 09:03 PM
where do you get your ro/di water from? do you have a TDS meter to test it? If so, what is your reading?

Me No Nemo
05/24/2006, 09:05 PM
Try blowing the rock off with a turkey baster. Many times the detritus in and on the rocks is feeding the algae. A PURA filter pad will help pull the solids out of the water so they won't settle back into the tank. What are you feeding and how often? What does your cleanup crew consist of? Some of the best additions to a clean up crew are sand sifting cucumbers, fighting conchs, and Cortez Red Leg Hermits as they do a great job on algae. If you have a sand sifting starfish this could also be a problem as they eat all the good guys in your sand that help break down what settles on the bottom. What type of substrate do you have? Any reading over 0 on your nitrates and phophates is not good and points to a problem so it's good you are addressing this now. GL, Marcye

tanku
05/24/2006, 09:12 PM
imo, your nitrates and phosphates may be many times higher than the test readings. you say you have a lot of algae, so the algae is feeding on the nitrates and phosphates, in essence they are lowering your test readings. your real trates and phates are probably much higher. water changes, phosban reactor, and aggressive skimming are some good ways help control the problem.