PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken their clam out of the....

Niven
05/08/2002, 11:22 AM
Has anyone taken their clam out of the water, put it in a separate container and tried feeding different foods?
The other day I took out my 2-2.5" clam and put in a cut up milk jug. It seemed to filter the phytoplankton that I put in there really well. I then tried adding some golden pearls. Shortly thereafter (less then 15 seconds) the clam closed quickly, opened again and closed just as quickly. It did this a few more times and I removed the clam and started with new water. I then added ESV's freeze dried phytoplankton. It began filtering the water again.
Both the ESV and Golden Pearls were put in a 20 oz coke bottle and shaken. I wonder it the GP's were not fully hydrated and annoyed the clam. Or maybe the particle size was too large (it was a mixture of the two smallest GP's) Or maybe the clam just didn't like it:)

Any ideas on this?
Gareth

holeinone1972
05/08/2002, 03:42 PM
I have never tried as my clams are all attched to the rocks, but I am interested in hearing from others, as I may purchase some small clams and do just this.

toptank
05/08/2002, 03:48 PM
I take my babies out to feed Dt's but you need to be careful when doing that.

Sometimes when they close and open like that it is like a person choking. Careful not to clog their gills. JMO & IME.

Barry

JohnL
05/08/2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Niven
Or maybe the particle size was too large

That would be my guess. I think clams filter only phytoplankton and not zooplankton. They also feed continuously so I wonder how effective it would be?