PDA

View Full Version : Snail Tippin!!

Stilgore
05/25/2006, 08:29 AM
Well, I have had my 120 up for about 60 days now and have had a blast. All water parameters are solid and everything in my tank really seems to be growing well. Been doing weekly 10% water changes and cleaning my skimmer once a week as well. I have enjoyed every aspect of the hobby so far except one thing!!

ASTRIA SNAILS!! It seems everytime I look at my tank there are at least 2 to 4 snails tipped over. Their foot does not seem to be long enough to right them so I end up using my cleaner to right them.

Does anyone have any advice? I know they are doing a good job cleaning along with my 3 turbos and around 10 ceriths but man it is really annoying.

Thanks for all the great advice getting my tank set up

Stil

Sk8r
05/25/2006, 08:37 AM
These snails live in areas of massive rock and other items they can grasp. Evolution fitted them to maneuver there, not on flat sand, which they generally avoid. Try stationing some tiny rocks or shells out across your sand which they can grasp to right themselves. Their foot cannot do it on sand because of their shell-shape and their short body-reach.

Paintbug
05/25/2006, 08:38 AM
astria snails cant right themselves. in nature they may never see sand, so they are not adapted for it. from my experiences with them you will have some that love the glass, and some that love the rocks. so if you have on that keeps falling off the rocks right putting it on the glass. and vise virsa. but if you see one on its back, put it back on the rocks right side up or it will drown.

bjonesjr1
05/25/2006, 08:42 AM
Like said above ^^^^ if you don't right side them up then they will drown, but if you have hermits they will take over the shell and make a new home out of it... so sometimes it allows for them to grow more with the bigger shell

goda
05/25/2006, 09:53 AM
drown i never heard that before, dont they just starve?
i had afew on the back for 3 days before i turned them over abd they are fine