PDA

View Full Version : saltwater jungle help!!!!

droppoint
05/25/2006, 07:31 PM
my tank(36 gal) has been up and running for 2 months now. algae is a constant problem (red and green) i cant seem to win the battle. ive been cutting the feedings back to once a day and am skimming as wet as i think i should (empty the cup twice a day) any other ideas? its a forest of seaweed all over everyting.

funman1
05/25/2006, 07:45 PM
What kind of water are you using?

mdisalvo55
05/25/2006, 08:48 PM
Try feeding once every 2 or even 3 days...you don't really need to feed once daily.

Blown 346
05/25/2006, 09:03 PM
For a new tank algae blooms are normal, but it sounds like an over abundance of Phosphates and nitrates that are feeding the algae.
You have to get these down to get the tank back in control.
I would start with a water change, and I would test the water parameters as well as Phosphate.
Like said above I would feed once every other day or even once every 2 or 3 days, there is always food present for the fish, cleanup to pick off of.

What type of lighting do you have? filtration, water flow?

I would also go on the drier side of skimming as it will pull out more nutrients, proteins than wet skimming will.
With wet skimming you are pulling out more tank water than proteins, and nutrients.

tashari
05/25/2006, 09:07 PM
It's from too much light and the nutrients in the water you add. Try RO/DI water for a couple of changes and see what happens.

IPowderBlueTang
05/25/2006, 09:21 PM
That is the normal cycle for a new tank. Be patient it will get brown diatom, red cyano, and green algea. Eventually it will all go away. I set up a new 120 gal and it took 4 months to go through the stages and still get a little red cyno once awhile. I just skim the sand bed and remove the red and wash it in saltwater and put it back. My 15 nano took 6 months to go through the 3 stages.
You can cut back on the feeding and reduce your lighting time, but will cause the 3 stages to take longer to burn out!

droppoint
05/26/2006, 07:59 PM
i cant find ro water anywhere, can i use distilled?

bertoni
05/26/2006, 08:21 PM
[welcome]

The purity of distilled water products varies, IME, but it's likely better than tapwater.

sushi chef
05/26/2006, 08:29 PM
If you run distilled water from your distillation unit through a DI unit you may get equal if not better quality water than from an RO unit. The DI should remove any volatile chemicals left in the water after condensation.

The energy used by a distillation machine does add up though. Maybe be cheaper to use RO DI unit.

Amy83820
05/26/2006, 08:32 PM
Get the distilled from Walmart. Look at the lable...it should say in fine print 'distilled by reverse osmosis.' It's not perfect, but leaps and bounds better than tapwater!
You can get a RO online at a good price from purelyh2o.com. I believe it's $79 plus there is a 10% off code. You can buy an attachment that will upgrade it into a RODI at a future date if it's money that's an issue.
I feel your pain! I'm having a brown algae issue right now too!

sushi chef
05/26/2006, 08:41 PM
How do you do distillation by RO? They're two totally different filtration types arn't they? Someone should write the manufacturer.

droppoint
05/27/2006, 07:10 PM
i think im starting to see improvement, the algae isnt growing back as fast and the skimmer isnt filling up as fast either. now all id like to do is remove the algae from that small fortune in live rock ive got. my wife bought an aenemone a week after i set the tank up(bad move i know) by the time i got home it was latched to a rock. so far so good with him but he sure gets mad and shrinks when hes hungry.im looking for info on aenemones but i cant find them in my coral or invert books what are they?

hairymushroom
05/28/2006, 01:50 AM
Look at the top of the 'new to the hobby forum' and there is a thread about anenomes.What lighting do you have to support this guy?