PDA

View Full Version : Red or Yellow florida rics?

sportsguy247
05/25/2006, 11:08 PM
Has any1 ever seen a real red florida ricorida? My friend had one but it ended up not making it. It was awesome. I just got a yellow one and it is doing great. How rare are these?

davidsreef
05/26/2006, 09:06 AM
I have never seen a red ric florida in person. I suppose they exist, I just haven't seen one. If someone has one let me know ;) I bet its awsome!

Ben1287
05/26/2006, 12:36 PM
I've seen gold w/green outer ring, but never a solid yellow, I would assume they are fairly rare.

Azurel
05/26/2006, 07:14 PM
From what I understand this info was coming from a large supplier of Florida ricordea, that there is no real such thing as a true red ricordea just a different color form of orange, and there is no true yellow in the sense of canary yellow or like likeness of the range of colors in yellow. If you see one that looks yellow most likely it is a bleached green ricordea, which the true color may or may not come back. All I can say is in the 22 years of reefing I have never seen a Florida ricordea that I said "Damn that's red or WOW that's yellow". That's also not to say I couldn't be wrong I have just never seen it or have anybody that is in the "know" tell me they have seen them.

Bryan Thompson
05/30/2006, 12:44 PM
Azurel is 100% correct.

Bryan

The Beaut
05/31/2006, 09:46 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/122832rics2.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/122832rics1.JPG

The Beaut
06/01/2006, 02:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/122832yelric1.JPG

DonavonsReef
06/01/2006, 08:08 PM
Different shades of Orange hummm are these both shades of orange lets take a vote. There are more color morphs out there than most people think not just orange, green & blue.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/donavonsreef/Misc-005.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/donavonsreef/New-shipment-086.jpg

Azurel
06/01/2006, 09:41 PM
Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting.....If not I want some of those pink and white ones.......Although the orange and green would be sweet too. Like I said in my post I could be wrong too, I don't have first hand experience diving for them....I would have to see it first hand in my tank...

DonavonsReef
06/01/2006, 09:47 PM
No photo-shop, no deceptive lighting just Hatian ricordia. Sorry I don't think you'll see these in your tank anytime soon.

michaelm2431
06/01/2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.ricordeas.net/index1.htm

Azurel
06/02/2006, 07:00 AM
michaelm2431,
When you put 20k MH lighting and supplement that with URI super actinic's you will get false colors like in that site...You can do the same thing with zoanthids. That doesn't make the color true....

Sorry I don't think you'll see these in your tank anytime soon.

Is that supposed to be a snide comment? Or you just saying you have the only ones around.....Type can be taken many ways, and I just want to be clear.....So I will clear my statement also I wasn't accusing you of being deceptive but when one looks at that picture the first thing they will say is "It looks fake". Especially when you(not you personally) deal with false lighting all the time with zoanthids and photoshoped colors of corals. I tend to be skeptical of overtly vivid colors that seem unreal and to true to believe. If you really have Ricordeas that look like that in true daylight spectrum color and not enhanced color then you really have something there.

DonavonsReef
06/02/2006, 07:24 AM
Not trying to be snide but when someone replies to a post with " Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting" you probably should expect it (seeing how you are attacking that persons credability). I'm not posting this to start any arguments. There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see. If you you chose to believe that blue, green & orange are the only colors ricordia come in, God bless you I respect your opinion.

Azurel
06/02/2006, 07:30 AM
I could have worded it better I guess.....I wasn't trying to start a argument either.....That's cool, so do these types of colors you showed ever make it into the hobby or are they just selective captures?....If you know what I mean.....Do they get sucked up by those whom collect them and get handed and sold to select people?

michaelm2431
06/02/2006, 07:30 AM
Azurel. You're right about lighting. I bought a red from this place last year. Before I bought it, I asked them to send me a pic. in daylight. They did, and I was happy.

DonavonsReef
06/02/2006, 07:44 AM
Azurel the Hatian ricordia seem to come in some crazy color morphs more so than the regular Atlantic ricordia. I'm convinced they may even be a sub-species as Hatian ricordia is so much different that the norm. For instance the fringe on the Hatian stuff can be brown, green or that mustard color also they a sometimes tri-color like the ones in the pics.

The Beaut
06/02/2006, 08:26 AM
I have to aggree with DonavonsReef. I also live in FL and have seen many colors. It is just the green, orange and blue are the most common. But I must admit in all my years in the hobby, i have never seen anything like those. I have a pink yuma but that is from Tonga, I am yet to see a true pink FL ricordia. In pictures they look pink but in person they look kinda orange. Once again there are so many colors out there someone is bound to stumble across something special at some point. Just look at all the colors in the British chaps thread, think his name is Wady.

Bryan Thompson
06/02/2006, 09:10 AM
This stuff kills me. "There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see."

Next time you are diving take us a photo. Or should I just tell you to say hi to Victor, Bruce, Bob and Marcus the next time you are in Miami picking out your ricordia.

The Reef Raft photos are shopped. No ifs ands or buts. Funny that the photos are from a supplier in Canada. I am sure they get it right from the diver in Haiti when he returns to the dock.

You can do anything with a photo.

http://www.extremeaquarium.com/images/RIC100.jpg
http://www.extremeaquarium.com/images/RIC100a.jpg http://www.extremeaquarium.com/images/RIC100b.jpg http://www.extremeaquarium.com/images/RIC100c.jpg

Bryan

DonavonsReef
06/02/2006, 09:23 AM
I would love to argue with King Bryan, god knows he is never wrong. Just because he can't get those color dosen't mean they don't exist, they do he just never gets them:)

DonavonsReef
06/02/2006, 09:39 AM
One more thing Bryan I showed Victor those reefraft pics he happens to be a good friend of mine & he has seen those colors. Don't know, maybe you see thousands of ricordia a week like he does. Better get Call him up and ask him.

Bryan Thompson
06/02/2006, 03:23 PM
Donovan,

We will just have to agree to disagree. We both have very strong feelings on the subject and I don’t think either of us is going to waiver. Most people have differing opinions on what color something is and I try not to put color tags on ricordia for this exact reason.

My philosophy has always been to buy a fish or coral because you like it and not because it is a rare color. I will end it at that and extend to you the olive branch since this is probably not the forum to air our differences.

Bryan

DonavonsReef
06/02/2006, 04:29 PM
Agreed, everyone has an opinion that does not make it right or wrong just a point of view. If you like it and it makes you happy thats all that matter. Bryan I do respect your opinion & everyone elses this world would be pretty boring without them. (How does it go, you say tomato I say tomatoe).
No hard fealings:)

SDeckard
06/03/2006, 02:55 AM
I've got 3 of them.....
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100608Red_Ricordia.jpg

DonavonsReef
06/03/2006, 07:50 AM
Those are Yumas.

SDeckard
06/03/2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry I didn't see the ricordia FLORIDA specification....

DonavonsReef
06/03/2006, 12:20 PM
N/P they are very nice none the less.

sportsguy247
06/04/2006, 01:41 PM
Reefraft deff gets great stuff. I wish we could get it here in the US.

tcup
06/04/2006, 02:32 PM
it never hurts to ask, so here goes. can you not corals shipped in from canada?

jenz
06/07/2006, 10:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7481382#post7481382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Azurel
Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting.....If not I want some of those pink and white ones.......Although the orange and green would be sweet too. Like I said in my post I could be wrong too, I don't have first hand experience diving for them....I would have to see it first hand in my tank...

This stuff kills me. "There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see."

Next time you are diving take us a photo. Or should I just tell you to say hi to Victor, Bruce, Bob and Marcus the next time you are in Miami picking out your ricordia.

The Reef Raft photos are shopped. No ifs ands or buts. Funny that the photos are from a supplier in Canada. I am sure they get it right from the diver in Haiti when he returns to the dock.

You can do anything with a photo

There is NO photoshop or deceptive lighting on these photos. Everything is taken under 20K XM and the photo was taken when we first received the shipment... thus, everything is under stress.

The colors of corals comes out and displays its brightness/intensity when the coral is stress.... wouldn't you agree????

Here are some more sample photos....

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/?start=0

Look at Bryan's pictures, the background is the same color as the Ricordea.... thats photoshopped. You have to it to believe it, before accusing someone. I should have a shipment coming real soon.... and I'm inviting you to come here to see.

Just look at our galleries... do you think these are photshopped?

http://www.reefraft.ca/ourgallery.asp

Thanks

jenz
06/07/2006, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7445940#post7445940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Azurel
From what I understand this info was coming from a large supplier of Florida ricordea, that there is no real such thing as a true red ricordea just a different color form of orange, and there is no true yellow in the sense of canary yellow or like likeness of the range of colors in yellow. If you see one that looks yellow most likely it is a bleached green ricordea, which the true color may or may not come back. All I can say is in the 22 years of reefing I have never seen a Florida ricordea that I said "Damn that's red or WOW that's yellow". That's also not to say I couldn't be wrong I have just never seen it or have anybody that is in the "know" tell me they have seen them. You are right... THERE IS NO REAL RED OR YELLOW RICORDEA. HOWEVER, THERE IS A PINKISH COLOR, LILAC THAT WE HAVE SEEN MANY TIMES. THE REDS AND YELLOWS ARE BLEACHED BECAUSE THEY ARE STRESSED, THUS, THE COLOR THAT SHOWS. CORALS ALSO REACT TO DIFFERENT LIGHTING, DIFFERENT CAMERAS ETC.

thank you.

Estey
06/07/2006, 10:58 AM
I happen to live right near Reef Raft and have bought lots of ricordia from them as I am sure they will agree. They get some of the most unusual colors I have ever seen.

I admit I was skeptical at first but after going to the store for the first time when I saw the pictures they are 100% accurate. They actually look even better in person than in the pictures.

Derek

Lukan
06/07/2006, 11:10 AM
Yup being from T.O. I see those Ric's when they come in. No photoshopping in here.

Do agree with Estey. They look even better in person. They change colour depending on your lighting.

Bryan Thompson
06/07/2006, 11:24 AM
JENZ Do you get them from Cuba? That may be why we don't see those color morphs in the US.

Bryan

Patwa
06/07/2006, 11:51 AM
RR definitely does not photoshop their stuff....trust me on this...I shop there all the time and what I see in the pics is what I see in their tanks.

Cuban rics are usually what we get up here in Toronto (via ReefRaft)....it's always a treat to check out what they bring in...i've acquired some AMAZING coloured rics over the years from them....yellows, bright green, orange, orange-pink, even purple!!!...but, alas... i'm still looking hard for a red ;)

sucks to be an American in this regard.......you can't get the nice cigars, and now, you're missing out on some of the best coloured floridas around....bring the peace!!!! if u trade with China, why not Cuba!!!!! hahahah

Zach

Cellenzweig
06/07/2006, 12:33 PM
I've gotta agree with the guys above. Reef Raft brings in some of the nicest pieces I've ever seen. And the photo's are pretty accurate...

I don't know how they do it, but these guys manage to land colonies of many of the corals you see sold as outragously priced frags in the US.

nickster
06/07/2006, 12:40 PM
yes RR has some AMAZING corals coming in through their doors - I may add not only Rics but Zoos and acros are top-shelf quality...

T.O. is the reefers Shangri-La.... yeeeeeehaaa!!!!

Quatro
06/07/2006, 02:29 PM
Hi jenz,

I sent you a pm :)

Everyone, I think the experts stated above that ricordea floridas can become stressed/bleached and the colors will shift. BUT, sometimes those colors stay and you get a color that is not normal, hence the rare yellows, pinks, and purples. Also, Bryan stated in another thread that in the wild some ricordeas go through a color change, and when collected at the right time, that color will stay.

Here is an example of my yellow rics under a 96 watt quad PC, so you know the colors are true. These rics seems pretty yellow to me, but it's JMO, so whatever you think...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/hceiv/Nano%20Reef/8d4efcae.jpg

smp
06/07/2006, 05:09 PM
This is a ricordea I grabbed from RR, I know it's not super rare or anything, but this was a LEFTOVER because I ALWAYS miss out on the new shipments:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/3086/medium/172_7240.jpg

One day I'll get there in time, hopefully.
Also, I'de like to add that I'm one of the people that isn't concerned with rarity, I'm simply concerned with "wow, that's beautiful", rare or not.

mr.wilson
06/07/2006, 05:34 PM
Patwa is correct. They are Cuban riccordea. Tricolour (green/orange/yellow) and a light strawberry colour, are among the colour (color) varieties available.

What kind of colour morphs of riccordea did Mao Zedong offer Nixon to renew trade ties with China?

You guys will have all the riccordea you want once Castro dies. For now this is your only supplier.

http://www.nsgtmo.navy.mil/

Buddy Pine
06/07/2006, 05:47 PM
I've noticed viewing some corals above the tank is much better than from the side view. Reef Raft shoots most of their photos from above and sometimes less than a foot deep, which I think shows better colorations. Here are all the Rics photo (side view) I've acquired from them under 2xMH 400W 20k SE, 1xMH 250W 20K DE, 2x 140W 60" Actinic 03 Blue.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/manny240Z/Rics2.gif

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/manny240Z/Rics1.gif

Ever since the arrival of digital photography, we less appreciate the true photographer's talents. The world is spoiled in special effects. Remember when we used film cameras? and wait a week for prints to be developed?

The Beaut
06/08/2006, 09:42 AM
Ok, now that we know these colors exist. Has anyone tried to propagate or cross breed or whatever to create these colors in captivity.

jman77
06/09/2006, 12:15 PM
Does RR ship to the USA ?

Quatro
06/09/2006, 12:21 PM
No. Tried a long time ago. Atleast $200 to ship, but they are so busy with their current store and customers, they don't have time to waste on us Yankees. I'd pay double what their customers pay for some pink, red or yellows, but still no go :(

DonavonsReef
06/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Bro. those colors are not just in Cuba. Cuba is only 90 miles from the Florida Keys.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 12:44 PM
This thread is very interesting to me. When I first started this hobby in 2000 ricordias were the first corals that I started collecting. ricordia flordias were not all that popular back then but they were going for 35-45 per polyp which is more than what they are going for these days. Then a few years ago people started diving for them in fl and the market got really saturated with these corals and they sell huge chunks of it on ebay and online stores. I think I have surfed every website that had floridas(that's in the US) since then and I have never seen those color morphs. I would really love to get my hands on a polyp or two of each unique color morph I see on RR. Would anyone be interested in buying a bulk order from them shipped to California? Maybe if we make it worthwhile they will ship a nice package down here to us. What do you all think? I live in Southern California.

Quatro
06/09/2006, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I tried that. But they are busy opening a new store, so they couldn't give me any attention, despite the possible thousands that I would spend with them. I think they are just a 2 man group, so they are very busy, but still....

I'm all for a group buy, but first you gotta get a hold of them and get them to ship. I'm in CA too.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:04 PM
do they still have those unusual morphs that's in their photo album? Because I'm checking their website and they don't have any of the interesting colors in stock. Or do they have a tank where they keep all the nice ones.

I wonder how much we will have to spend to get them to ship those down here. Maybe if we get a order worth a few thousand in they will do so. Make it worthwhile for them. =)

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:07 PM
I would take the 8 hour drive up there and bring them back here to NJ, and ship from here, if someone can work out the details.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:13 PM
8 hrs is not bad at all! That's almost as long as driving to San Franciso for me. I guess question now is if it's worth all that driving/shipping. It'd only be worth it if we buy bulk and if the morphs are diff from the ones we get here in the US. Anyone know if they still have those colorful morphs?

Quatro
06/09/2006, 01:14 PM
I think those color morphs are sold within minutes of getting them in. Their local buyers arrive early at their door to get in! I think they also have a display tank for those super rare rics, but they won't sell them. Not 100% sure tho. They used to post on aquariumpros.ca all the time, but have pulled out since the new store is coming. (hope I'm not giving away too many secrets!)

Since they are moving, I heard that they won't be ordering the premium stuff until after they get settled into the new place, after summer.

Michael,

Although that would be awesome, you'd have smuggling to worry about. You'd need to get a CITES permit, which can be expensive.

I think if we could get enough interest (ie. $$$), they might listen and consider shipping to the US.

Any other ideas guys?

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:15 PM
Where are they in Canada? Might be less than 8 hours.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:17 PM
Whould they ship to a local wholesaller?

Quatro
06/09/2006, 01:18 PM
Check out their site. Jenz homepage on pg. 2 of this thread ;)

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:18 PM
here you go:

6-1650 Dundas Street East
Mississauga, Ontario L4X 2ZE

Quatro
06/09/2006, 01:19 PM
I think they sell to wholesalers too. So there's another option...

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:21 PM
I have 2 wholesaler friends in NJ if they ship to US.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:24 PM
7 Hours, 43 minutes. Not bad

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:24 PM
What would be the difference between wholesalers and hobbyists if we pay the same amount of money for them and purchase bulk? The hard part is to get them to ship to the US correct? I would still rather have them ship directly to Ca since that would reduce stress on the animals. Moving from tank to tank is not a good thing imo.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know their reason, but my friend can buy ORA's and I can't.

Cellenzweig
06/09/2006, 01:29 PM
But they are busy opening a new store, so they couldn't give me any attention, despite the possible thousands that I would spend with them. All of their top quality pieces sell literally within an hour of arrival, most within minutes. They are already moving the corals quickly, without having to go through the burden of dealing with Customs, CITES, etc...

Their local buyers arrive early at their door to get in! That's correct. There's usually a lineup of 15-20+ people before they open after a really anticipated shipment has come in.

Because I'm checking their website and they don't have any of the interesting colors in stock. The website is rarely updated. The nice stuff sells quicker than they can post it.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:30 PM
I would be interested in a big purchase from you'se in Ca, if something gets worked out there. Mike

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:32 PM
Can a local person from Canada ship here?

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:35 PM
If they can get those color morphs and I lived 8 hrs away I would just camp outside their store the night before their big shipment arrives. :D

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:35 PM
I was just about to ask when their shipment came in.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:42 PM
There was this guy that bought a ton of sps frags from me before and he lives in Canada. What he did was drive down to WA and picked it up there so the frags dont' have to go through customs. However I had another guy from Canada telling me that he had no problems shipping corals from the US to Canada and that he didn't need any cites or licenses to ship them across the border. Maybe he labeled the corals as something else? I'm not exactly clear.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna put a call in to my friend tonight and have him sign up there, and get us more info.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:47 PM
If I had that kind of money, I'de drive there and ship to you'se.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 01:55 PM
Is that the new address,or old?

Quatro
06/09/2006, 01:56 PM
I think shipping between the US and Canada can be done without CITES and permits, but it's really risky and illegal. You'll get fined for violating CITES, and probably your rics would be sent back to the seller. Sometimes you could get away with it if you label the package as a "gift" (pers exp. (not corals tho)), but with such a big heavy package, like what we're talking about, some people might get nosy.

Also, keep in mind that those photos in their photobucket website are the absolute creme of the crop. When they get in shipments, they get like 2000 polyps! You'd really have to offer $ to get them to cherry pick those rare color out of their huge stock, cause someone local is just as willing as we are to pay $200, $300, $400 for a small colony.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 01:59 PM
I'm sure we can get them to cherry pick for us since we can just divide up the nice colonies between ourselves but pay a premium for them. I mean if we can get let's say a 10 polyp colony and divide up between 3-4 people how much are you guys willing to pay? Honestly I don't mind just a few polyps of each unusual morph and just let them grow in my tank. Takes forever to get a nice colony out of "one" ricordia but it's getting that morph that's most important.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 02:03 PM
I'de pay whatever it takes.

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:04 PM
For sure, I'd pay red yuma prices for a polyp of some of those morphs, BUT I was just saying that they have such a strong local market, it might be difficult to get their attention down this way, despite the extra monetary incentives.

Also, I think it might be futile to persue this further until they get their new stock in after the new store's opening... (but never hurts to keep trying........)

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:08 PM
I'm still wondering if those colors will keep in our tanks. Some of those colors look insane but does anyone have pics of those rare morphs in their own personal tanks? What kind of lighting are they using? I might have missed the lighting info in this thread but I want to know what kind they using to bring out those amazing colors.

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:12 PM
20k XM bulbs only.

The colors should stay the same, unless they are bleached, then they will darken, but shouldn't be a color SHIFT.

I'm gonna look for a pic I saw of their rics in a tank with a 250w MH. Gimme a sec...

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 02:13 PM
There is NO photoshop or deceptive lighting on these photos. Everything is taken under 20K XM and the photo was taken when we first received the shipment... thus, everything is under stress.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:14 PM
So I guess the question is if they colors keep AFTER they acclimate to the tank. So we need to find pics of those. =)

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:16 PM
Colors are really washed out because of the glare and photography skills...

Here's the link. Gives you sort of an idea. It's the Nov 05 TOTM...

http://www.totm.aquariumpros.ca/TOTM/archives/index.shtml (TOTM Nov. 05)

Also, check out pg. 2, there a Canadian reefer who posted a pic of his rics. They aren't like RR photobucket, but still really nice IMO.

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 02:18 PM
link didn't work

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:21 PM
that's a lot of rics, but I don't see any uncommon morphs in his tank.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:21 PM
I just typed out the main link then go to totm nov2005.

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry. You'll have to do it manually.

Go to aquariumpros.ca

Click Tank of the Month

Click Previous Tanks

Scroll down to Nov 2005 TOTM

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:26 PM
http://totm.aquariumpros.ca/TOTM/images/nov05020.jpg

Yellow, pink, orange, blue/orange. These are some pretty nice rics. Dunno, seemed pretty nice to me? I think most of the pics are washed out, but there seems to be some quality rics in there.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:29 PM
hmm but I see those at other online sites and local fish stores, just not recently. I have seen all of those morphs somewhere in the US. No point shipping them from Canada if you can get them here. =)

murdoc
06/09/2006, 02:41 PM
where in the states can you get these quality rics online (not ebay) with a reasonable price tag???

Quatro
06/09/2006, 02:43 PM
Right! That's why we need RR to ship these to us: (pictures taken from RR photobucket and aquariumpros.ca postings! Not mine!)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/New-shipment-081.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/New-shipment-082.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/New-shipment-079.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/Misc-005.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/885c0ff5.jpg
http://aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13093&d=1137226705

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:50 PM
You got it hceiv!

lfs has those morphs in every once in a while. And ebay used to have some crazy morphs back a couple years ago. Nowadays it's the typical orange/green/blues.

isseym328
06/09/2006, 02:53 PM
oops didn't see the word online. I used to purchase a bunch of nice ones from ecorals but they have closed down their online website. liveaquaria has some pretty nice ones now as well. Check out atlantisaquarium for some nice yumas.

murdoc
06/09/2006, 02:55 PM
some shop online like reefscience can get the same rics as reef raft, they are not the only shop in the world with this product

murdoc
06/09/2006, 02:55 PM
i have a hard time with yumas, they slowly melt away

Quatro
06/09/2006, 03:05 PM
floridas are much easier to keep. and as you can see from the above posts, their colors can be just as vibrant! :D

isseym328
06/09/2006, 05:04 PM
I check reefscience pretty often. I do not beleive they have those colors that RR has.

coralcat
06/09/2006, 07:45 PM
I am always interested in beautiful rics. There easy to propagate. No reason not to have some and trade later. Would be interested in an order. Local wholesaler, when he get’s the orange/blue, tricolors are $18 to 22 each

michaelm2431
06/09/2006, 08:31 PM
I signed up to aquariumpros. Guess I have to keep an eye out over there to see when new shipments come in.

mr.wilson
06/09/2006, 08:38 PM
The cuban government was only allowing ricordea collection in one area until very recent. Two more collection sites have been approved by the Cuban government. We will be seeing new varieties from these new locations in a month or two.

In order for US citizens to legally import Cuban ricordea from Canada, it would have to be ricordea grown in Canada from Cuban stock. On top of that you would need a CITES permit from the Canadian government in order to import it into the US.

The US government embargo penalties are as follows "Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC."

The true colours are very nice, but the RR images are photoshopped in my opinion.

Quatro
06/11/2006, 12:11 PM
mr.wilson,

Thanks for your input. I know that the penalties are severe, that's why I was interested in doing this legally.

That's encouraging news about the new collection sites. How lucky you are to live in Canada! So, you think that there will be new and wilder color morphs entering your market soon?

You are a competitor with RR, is that correct? Have you personally seen their ricordea florida stock to make a comparison between what they have and what is photographed on their site and photobucket site? Or, do you think their photos are photoshopped just by looking at them? I ask because it would be very helpful to hear an opinion from someone who has actually seen their stock, as opposed to pure speculation by observation of their photos. Others who have seen and purchased their ricordeas have posted earlier, and the consensus was that the ricordea photos are accurate and untouched. How did you come to your conclusions?

Just curious, Thanks!

mr.wilson
06/11/2006, 08:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7540143#post7540143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hceiv
mr.wilson,

Thanks for your input. I know that the penalties are severe, that's why I was interested in doing this legally.

That's encouraging news about the new collection sites. How lucky you are to live in Canada! So, you think that there will be new and wilder color morphs entering your market soon?

You are a competitor with RR, is that correct? Have you personally seen their ricordea florida stock to make a comparison between what they have and what is photographed on their site and photobucket site? Or, do you think their photos are photoshopped just by looking at them? I ask because it would be very helpful to hear an opinion from someone who has actually seen their stock, as opposed to pure speculation by observation of their photos. Others who have seen and purchased their ricordeas have posted earlier, and the consensus was that the ricordea photos are accurate and untouched. How did you come to your conclusions?

Just curious, Thanks!

It's hard to say what will be found in the two new collection sites. As in all marine environments, each geographical region will have its own endemic fauna. Countries like Indonesia and The Philippines have a huge variety only because they collect from a diverse cross section of habitats. Cuba is a huge country. I'd like to see what else they have under the sea. They have some nice varieties of Rhodactis sanctithomae and paradiscosoma neglecta, but these are readily available in the U.S. on Haitian lettuce rock. We can only hope that new (colorful) varieties are found. That's part of the fun.

I do custom aquarium installations and my clients are mostly interior designers, so I'm not a competitor of Reef Raft. In fact they are a supplier of mine, as they do wholesale sales as well as retail. I've never been to their store on the same day as a Cuban ricordea shipment, so I can't comment on what they get in. I do however have a 20 year business relationship with two exporters in Cuba, and I have seen the ricordea that the local wholesaler, and other retailers get from there. I know Reef Raft buys from the same supplier, but it's entirely possible that they have an alternative source, possibly even from another country.

I have seen those colour morphs that they have on their site and I have purchased them for a few of my clients. They are clearly the nicest varieties available, as I stated in previous posts. My comment regarding the images being photoshopped, was only based on my experiences with ricordea available from Cuba, reports from local hobbyists, and my knowledge of photography. I've been in the aquarium business for 20 years, and the only job I've had out of the business in that time was as a colourizer of black and white movies. The images that RR posted aren't "colorized". The true colours are as they appear; however, they appear to have a contrast shift and are perhaps darkened. There's nothing wrong with this practice as it's the industry standard.

That's what they look like when they're closed, but once they open up they fade a little. When they're stressed they aren't open like they are in the pictures. Stress only creates more mucous which is a milky colour, not pigmented with UV blocking agents that fluoresce.

Our local marine forums are www.aquariumpros.ca and www.reefescape.ca. You will find lots of ricordea photos in the forum. There are some nice photos in this thread in particular... http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17861&page=3&highlight=show+rics

Cellenzweig
06/12/2006, 01:03 PM
I've seen both of these in person at RR. They were in the show tank there, so I have no doubt that they are the "creme of the crop". These pictures are pretty accurate. I haven't seen any of the others in person.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/RRaft/Ricordea%20collection/New-shipment-079.jpg

smp
06/12/2006, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7546114#post7546114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cellenzweig
I've seen both of these in person at RR. They were in the show tank there, so I have no doubt that they are the "creme of the crop". These pictures are pretty accurate. I haven't seen any of the others in person.

You can see that those polyps are kind of tight, not 'closed', but not fully inflated either. I think the colours are more saturated when they are in this state. This doesn't mean that they are fake or photoshopped or anything but things always look different when you get them home.

isseym328
06/12/2006, 01:57 PM
I would like a polyp of the ricordia colony in the first pic please.

murdoc
06/13/2006, 01:24 AM
i want that first polyp too, look like candy.....

zarro
06/13/2006, 05:09 PM
HI

Azurel
06/13/2006, 06:05 PM
Hi zarro.....

cuong
06/15/2006, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555066#post7555066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Azurel
Hi zarro.....

:D hi everybody:D

BigBrother2006
06/15/2006, 02:34 PM
*Edited*

There is no reason to direct others to another BB with an inflammatory comment. - Anemone