PDA

View Full Version : Maxi-jet mod too loud, is something wrong?

jamal-188
05/26/2006, 09:30 AM
I had a maxi-jet 1200 modded by someone on RC that from what I've read is very knowledgable about this mod so I'm not dobting the workmanship. I had it hooked up to my red-sea wavemaster pro but it's so loud evertime or every other time it starts up. It rattle like crazy until the impeller spins the correct way. So...I decided just to plug it into the outlet and let it run all the time, but it still rattles and seems to restart randomly. Is this normal?

Kaiser Tang
05/26/2006, 09:35 AM
You may need to glue the impeller shaft. MJs shafts have a little play between the magnet and the plastic part. Use some super glue and glue the shaft so it's all one imovable part. This may solve the problem.

duec22
05/26/2006, 10:34 AM
Should have gotten a Sieo..IMO

impur
05/26/2006, 10:50 AM
Also make sure the prop is centered on the crossmember at the end of the shroud. If its off even a little, it will make some noise.

imbuggin
05/26/2006, 10:58 AM
that is because it is starting in reverse half the time. They are not supposed to be used on a wavemaker, rather run 24/7. I have mine on a sea swirl works great. I like it much better than my seo's both 1500 and 2600. I actually have a 2600 3 month old I will sell if anyone wants it.

jamal-188
05/26/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7443121#post7443121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
that is because it is starting in reverse half the time. They are not supposed to be used on a wavemaker, rather run 24/7.

Then why does it stil make noise like it's restarting when I just plug it into the wall?

ejmeier
05/26/2006, 12:21 PM
The random restarts is from using a propeller that is too big, usually. Let me guess, a 1.75" Dumas is on there? (white colored one.)

imbuggin
05/26/2006, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7443415#post7443415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamal-188
Then why does it stil make noise like it's restarting when I just plug it into the wall?

it doesn't matter if you start it by plugging it into a wall or wavemaker. It needs to "start". When you plug it into the wall if it is loud it is most likely in reverse. Unplug it and plug it right back in. Untill water is going out instead of in. When you start at maxi-jet it has a 50-50 chance of which way it will run. Both work fine for normal operation, but only forward works with the mod. So start it correct and let it remain on. If it is still making noise in forward you either have the mod on incorrect or it was not made correct?

jamal-188
05/26/2006, 12:29 PM
I think something must be wrong then. When I just plug it into the wall it will make the noise until it starts going the right way but them randomly every minute or so it will rattle again like it was just restarted and is going the wrong way. Something must be making the powerhead keep restarting.... The MJ1200 was brand new so I can't belive something would be wrong with it....

Can I glue the magnet as somebody suggest above>

mthedude
05/26/2006, 12:35 PM
imbuggin - you have a modded MJ on a Sea Swirl? How does that work? I thought the sea swirl had to be conected to return pump?

ejmeier
05/26/2006, 12:36 PM
It randomly restarts because:
A: the inlet slots are too small, and too few (not likely if you said it was made by someone w/ experience.
B: THE PROP IS TOO LARGE FOR THE MJ TOO HANDLE.

It happens a lot. It stops, starts to stutter, and eventually it may start again in the right direction. Its because there is too great a load on the MJ motor. Gluing the shaft to the magnet would only increase the weight it has to spin, and is against how it was designed to work anyway.