PDA

View Full Version : Green/black/red slime algae?

t-dizzle
05/26/2006, 12:09 PM
I've got a problem with slime algae growing on my sand and on my lowest rocks. It appears to be slime algae, but it ranges in color from very dark red in some places, to very dark green in other places, to black.

I treated my tank with Chemi-Clean about 3 weeks ago, which seemed to work at the time, but all this grew in the time since. Nitrates are at 1.5 PPM, phosphates are less than 0.015 (lowest detectable level using a double-precision Salifert test). IO salt. RO for top-off and weekly 3-gallon WC. 11-hour photoperiod. I'm floating about 50 grams of RowaPhos in the return chamber of my skimmer. I do what I consider to be minimal feeding (Formula One and mysis shrimp once a day).

Thanks for any ideas!

T./

Monkeyfish
05/26/2006, 12:17 PM
Cyanobacteria or red slime algae usually occurs when there is an excess of nutrient in the water column and/or not enough flow. I would avoid using products like chemi-clean as they are only a temporary fix and can cause damage or even kill certain corals and other inverts. Try doing a large water change (at least 25%) and adding fresh carbon. You may also want to rearrange your powerheads if you have any "dead spots" (areas of still water).

t-dizzle
05/26/2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the tips, MonkeyFish! I'll try changing my flow pattern (I have lots of flow, but I know I have lots of dead spots, too because of my aquascaping. I'll try adding carbon after this weekend's water change, too.

T./

Shoestring Reefer
05/27/2006, 01:09 PM
I'm going through a pretty nasty cyano bloom thanks to poor tank maintenance (I was out of town a lot this spring) and I have lots of cyano even where I have flow; it waves in the current like a kite tail before breaking off. :(

Make sure your Alk is high enough, you are removing nutrients fast enough (skimming/water change/macro algae), not and have reef-appropriate lighting. I've got a 125 mh with a bulb from HD, it might be part of the problem.