PDA

View Full Version : hurricane plan for those in fl

goda
05/26/2006, 02:59 PM
any one think maybe we should start start a list of local reefers in flordia

so when somthing knocks out the power. we could say. take our stuff over to some one who still does have power so that the corals will live.

not sure if you want other peoples coral in your tank but maybe let people set up rubbermaids with a pump and a light

since phones and internet wont be working most likely. should start making some type of plan now.

stupid idea i know
but when you loose power for a week you start thinking of crazy ideas

compulou
05/26/2006, 04:12 PM
I feel you buddy, there's no way I'm going through what I went through last year with Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma (more than 3 weeks total without power). Look I've lived in S FLA all my life and have never seen these storms get as bad as they have been the last couple of years and we're supposed to be in this loop for another 10 years!!! GREAT!!! I just think that us as Reef Keepers should be more diligent. I for one was going to buy a regular generator but said screw it and bought a Generac LP 15000k generator which will run my entire house "Including my Tank with all pumps and lights".

Besides that I am down to create some sort of Reef Club in the Miami area. I know there's one in Ft. Laud already but it's hard for us to get there in time from Miami.

goda
05/26/2006, 04:38 PM
i dont think the one here in ft lauderdale does anything tho

anyways..
i would love to have one of those whole house genorators but!!! over 10 k after permits and stuff

and also i live in a condo so i cant have one.. ( cant wait to move)

till then i have a 1kw genorater.. and 20 gallons of fuel.
><

goodblasson
05/26/2006, 05:28 PM
Hurricane alley. Better come up with a good plan now, b/c the big bad hurricane will be here very soon. I think the best bet is to get yourself the cheapest generator and some prayer.

goda
05/26/2006, 05:51 PM
lmao i see a generator helping but whats prayer suppose to do??
dosnt like my prayer that it dosnt come to me contridict yours that it dosnt come to you?

my plan so far is airstones on battery back up and charge the batery back up with the genorater

Sk8r
05/26/2006, 05:56 PM
Talk about something the local reef clubs could help organize.

goda
05/26/2006, 05:58 PM
yeah that was what i wanted to talk aobut got a lil sidetracked lol

hopfulyl some one from the local club will see this

im not a member of any clubs yet since im only 18 i kinda feel outa place with them lol ( usualy a bunch of older people who talk down to you )

thor32766
05/26/2006, 06:37 PM
yeah i just bought a generator today for the sole purpose of running my two main tanks! hope i never have to use it.

Big Ying
05/26/2006, 07:28 PM
Inverters are quite useful along with a deep cycle battery or two. After Charley hit, I kept my tanks alive with them until we got a generator on the 3rd day without power. Sometimes I pulled a car up to the front door, plugged the inverter into the cigarette lighter and ran an extension cord into the house for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I ran airstones in all the tanks and even charged a battery so I could run airstones off it at night. I had no major casualties.

Bret61081
05/27/2006, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7445526#post7445526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goda

im not a member of any clubs yet since im only 18 i kinda feel outa place with them lol ( usualy a bunch of older people who talk down to you )

I am 24 and I did feel a litte out of place at first but I still meet a few people...then went on the fish hop and now know most of the people there! The FMAS really is a great group of people...June 10th they are doing a trip to the keys for the day. Pay the 15$ to join and the cost of the bus is 10$...come along and I bet you won't feel out of place at the next meeting! =)

goda
05/27/2006, 10:22 AM
"nverters are quite useful along with a deep cycle battery or two. After Charley hit, I kept my tanks alive with them until we got a generator on the 3rd day without power. Sometimes I pulled a car up to the front door, plugged the inverter into the cigarette lighter and ran an extension cord into the house for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I ran airstones in all the tanks and even charged a battery so I could run airstones off it at night. I had no major casualties"

how many watt inverter?
anything over 300 watts should connect directly to car batery since they pull so much it would melt the lil wires used in cig lighters

Big Ying
05/27/2006, 12:57 PM
Goda

It's a 400 watt inverter. There are no warnings or anything that I see on it like you describe. I don't think I ever came close to 400 watts though. Airstones don't use much, or any of the other things i plugged into it.

goda
05/27/2006, 01:33 PM
ok thats good

i know that the 700 and up inverters dont even have a plug to use in car. you connect it to battery and trun on the car

but remember 400 watts at 120 volts is alot of watts over a 12 volt ( or is it 24 volt) car line

i know iv blown the fuses in the car before with one and after a storm is not the time you want to be looking for fuses lol
right now im testing how long my 3 year old APC upc battery back up will run a 4 watt draw ( hooked my dimmer/ computer to it. solar 1000)

Amy83820
05/27/2006, 01:41 PM
I went the inverter route too when we lived in Sarasota. My mother in law lives in Nokomis and she said they are doing a hurricane preparedness 'tax-break' day. (no taxes on supplies)

goda
05/27/2006, 01:42 PM
yeah and homedepot is offering 7 percent off on all tax free items

TimFountain
05/27/2006, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7445392#post7445392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goodblasson
Hurricane alley. Better come up with a good plan now, b/c the big bad hurricane will be here very soon. I think the best bet is to get yourself the cheapest generator and some prayer.

Or move!

goda
05/27/2006, 02:58 PM
why move
hurricanes do the leat danmage imo

in texas you get tornados.. no thanks
atleast here we know when tornados are comming ( they usualy come along with hurricans. and when they do pop up out of no where. they are usualy very weak)

anyways. nice diving here. cant beat it. i think its worth a few days of storm lol

ERICinFL
05/27/2006, 09:02 PM
Tax free days on hurricane supplies here in FL ends 6/1/06. I'm going to pick up a generator for sure, along with 5-6 5gal gas cans. I figure a good 6500 watt generator will run the fridge, TV, some fans, a window shaker, some lights and my tank. Everything else I can do without for a while.

A guy told me he made up about 50gal of fresh saltwater before the hurricanes two years ago. When his power went out, he'd do 10gal water changes every 6-8 hours. He'd "recycle" the water he took out of his tank with the fresh water he'd made. He said it worked pretty good and didn't lose anything. It was a pain in the butt to do for five days, but it was better than losing over 3k in livestock.

Danfish
05/27/2006, 10:37 PM
We got lucky and packed up the aquarium 4 days before the power outages last year.
Left Hurricane highway for Tornado alley.

Good luck guys.

jman77
05/27/2006, 11:22 PM
pray

TimFountain
05/28/2006, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7450145#post7450145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goda
why move
hurricanes do the leat danmage imo

in texas you get tornados.. no thanks
atleast here we know when tornados are comming ( they usualy come along with hurricans. and when they do pop up out of no where. they are usualy very weak)

anyways. nice diving here. cant beat it. i think its worth a few days of storm lol

True, but Austin is at the bottom end of tornado alley. Even so, they tend to be very localized, as opposed to hurricaines, which typically are much larger. Even so, could be worse, we could be in CA sitting on the side of a hill waiting for the 'big one'!

-Tim

PS the move was only a joke. I would look at making up a bunch of water, getting a gas generator and enough gas to last 5 days. hopefully the generator would be big enough to power the A/C of chiller on the tank. Should be OK with no light for 5 days.

I have a UPS which runs my main pump for 2 hours, which seems to be most of the outages we have here.

goda
05/28/2006, 01:06 PM
my upc battery back up ran my computer for 12 hours ( small lil fish computer)

imagin how long it will run my air pump
or better yet
a bateryback up airpump and replace batterys with an ac adapter

Agu
05/28/2006, 03:14 PM
Friend of mine was without electricity for 10 days. He was pretty well set up with a generator and gas. Fan cooling worked to cool the tank but his evap on a 125 went through the roof.

Fortunately I wasn't hit and had electricity and running water. He stopped by every day after work and picked up 5 gallons of ro/di just for topoff. Make sure you have plenty of fresh water too.........

goda
05/28/2006, 03:24 PM
last year when power went out we didnt loose water pressure.
but i have a 3 gallon storage tank ( pressurized)
and if theres still pressure i can always make more water ( im not drinking it so its good enough quality lol)

plus i have about 10 gallons in my gradge of di water and i can always collect somewhen the wind dies down and its jsut heavy rain