PDA

View Full Version : "tap water filter"

modelrr
05/26/2006, 07:41 PM
how well do the tap water filters (by aquarium pharmaceuticals) work? I have a 55g fowlr

thanks

bertoni
05/26/2006, 07:45 PM
I think these are the small DI units, and they might work reasonably well, but will be very expensive to run in most places because the cartridges will be exhausted rapidly. Can you post a link to the product?

modelrr
05/26/2006, 07:45 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_reverse-osmosis_aquarium_pharmaceuticals.asp?CartId=

sushi chef
05/26/2006, 07:51 PM
I only see one Tap Water Filter at Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. If it's the one on the bottom ofthis (http://aquariumpharm.com/en_us/productCategory.asp?categoryname=Filtration) page then you may want to consider a different unit. At least one with an RO filter. It may be a bit less expensive at the start, but DI resin isn't cheap, and running tap water directly through a DI unit would burn it out rather quickly. The filtered water also wouldn't be as clean compared to water out of a good RO unit.

However, a DI unit is better than no filtration at all.

deepboy
05/26/2006, 07:52 PM
I guess depending on how clean you want your water, I know someone who uses a tap water filter that you hook right to the sink I dont think his tank looks all that well and he constantly has livestock dying off! I personally dont trust them enough to get everything out of the water and would rather go out and buy my RO/DI water.

bertoni
05/26/2006, 07:52 PM
Yes, that's a pure DI unit. Depending on the purity of your water source, it might be okay, but for most people, it's far too expensive to be useful. Maybe for a small nano it'd be fine.

modelrr
05/26/2006, 07:53 PM
what are some good, cheap RO filters? where can I get them?

bertoni
05/26/2006, 07:56 PM
airwaterice.com has the Typhoon III that gets good reviews. FilterDirect.com sells less expensive units, but the quality doesn't seem to be as good. In either case, be sure to get a 75gpd membrane. The 100 gpd membranes aren't as effective yet, and will cost more in DI cartidge replacement.

modelrr
05/26/2006, 07:56 PM
by the way, we use really clean well water

sushi chef
05/26/2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.purelyh2o.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=59&category_id=1

If you're on a serious budget.

http://www.purelyh2o.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=60&category_id=1

A little better.

Have you tested the TDS of your well water?

modelrr
05/26/2006, 08:05 PM
no, I haven't tested it yet

Shoestring Reefer
05/27/2006, 01:00 PM
I used the DI Tap Water Filters for a while. When it comes to getting really clean water, and removing the most dissolved stuff possible, DI can't be beat. Keep in mind, they're used as the last stage in many RO/DI systems to get what the RO missed. DI by itself is not very effective at removing larger particles and things like bacteria, which won't live in your tank anyways.

Like others have mentioned, they are expensive in the long run, and just how much water you get out of a filter depends on your water quality. In 2 towns I lived in, I got 125 to 150 gallons per cartridge. Where I now live, I get about 50 gallons. Seeing as how I have a 125 gallon tank, using those filters is no longer cost effective.

Also keep in mind: RO membranes have a limited life span, and DI resins can be recharged. I'm to lazy to recharge them. :)

modelrr
05/27/2006, 02:10 PM
I think a DI filter might be worth a try.

How do you recharge DI resins???

AZDesertRat
05/27/2006, 05:12 PM
It takes hazardous materials to recharge DI resin and its not worth the risk, time or money for small amounts. You will be sorry you didn't invest in a RO/DI unit. Tap Water Filters may last 50 gallons if you are one of the lucky ones. A good RO/DI will last years with a little bit of regular maintenance.

tashari
05/27/2006, 05:28 PM
I would recomend RO over DI better RO/DI. RO with a flush is really nice.

Dr4g0nf1y
05/27/2006, 10:03 PM
I actually currently use this as my method of water preparation. The cartridges care $19 each to replace. Using a TDS meter I find that my tap water is 35ppm, out of the TWF it's 0 TDS.

The resin can be recharged with Lye and Muriatic acid. Both chemicals available @ Home Depot.

The main problem I have with RO/DI is the amount of waste water.

AZDesertRat
05/27/2006, 10:33 PM
To recharge resin properly you need seperate cation and anion resins not mixed bed like you commonly find. Thats means you would need two seperate cartridges, one of each.
Lye and acid are both available but are both still very harardous to work with unless you know what you are doing. It aint worth it!