PDA

View Full Version : What's the most REEF SAFE CLEANUP CREW?

Kaos
05/27/2006, 09:41 AM
I know this question has been asked thousands of times and if I could search I would do it, but I can't, so I'm asking. What is the overall concesus of the most reef safe cleanup crew? I was thinking of getting some hermits (which ones?), snails (which ones?), and a cleaner shrimp. What do you guys think? I know the hermits can be questionable sometimes but I figure they're pretty easy to catch, so if I have any troubles I can get them out. TIA.

Sk8r
05/27/2006, 09:58 AM
tiny blueleg hermits and scarlets, nothing larger---with extra shells, so they won't bother your snails. Snails, every variety you can find: they specialize---and see if you can find some tiny turbo grazers. They're tough as nails and get into places no other snail can. Oh! and a fighting conch. You may not see them for weeks, but they clean the sand, including under it.

Cleaner shrimp, y'know, don't clean anything but fish. But they will eat detritus. They also get along with peppermints, who are good with aiptasia if any.

Hermits will make you think they're going to damage corals, but their feet are so light, they just don't. My largest just took a hike across my plate coral, one of the most fragile surfaces in the tank, and no damage.

Cultivate bristleworms. They get the holes, and will be the final breakdown stage for fish poo to coral-size particles, if you're going to have any. Otherwise, they just sweep the interior of hollow rock or holey rock in a way nothing else can get.

Avoid cucumbers or emerald crabs: cucumbers, dying, can poison a tank, and crabs grow up to be headaches and become a danger to fish.

reefnewbie54321
05/27/2006, 10:24 AM
I like to aviod hermits all together ... there are better snail scavengers

-Algae Crew-
Trochus
Hawaiian Turbo
Mini-Turbo Snails (collonista)
Stomatella varia
Nerites
Strombus maculatus

-Sand Bed Crew-
Florida Fighting Conch
Nassarius snails
Bristle Worms
Any other worms
Cerith snails
miniature brittle stars

Tiger Cukes cant nuke your tank and are great sand bed cleaners ... one of the best

Also some guidlines,
3 sq ft/cuke
2 sq ft/conch