PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

Dennis1438
05/27/2006, 07:15 PM
Do the emeral crabs really work for the bubble algae? I took my water to the LFS today and they tested it, everything was fine, why would I be getting the bubble algae. At the LFS they said I could put in a foxface and it would do the same as the emerald crabs. Can anyone tell me which may be better, and how many I should put into the tank.
Now I have only 2 percula clowns, 1 sildier fish, 4 blue hermits and 2 sally lightfoot crabs to clean the tank which is 80 gal with about 60 lbs LR 40 lbs LS..............Thanks

45commando
05/27/2006, 07:55 PM
I would try & hand remove as much as possible.Bubble algae is very adaptable & doesn't need much light to survive.Try not to puncture the bubbles if you do remove it,as it will release spores.If you still have a issue,then I would add the emeralds before a foxface-less bioload on the system,& besides being venomous,it may restrict your choice of fish in the future.Good luck.

Jerry W
05/27/2006, 08:27 PM
Neither my emerald crabs or foxface ever touch the stuff. I manually remove it by removing the affected rock from the tank, then plucking the algae off.

Sk8r
05/27/2006, 08:47 PM
Be patient. It will go away and leave a new plague in its place. If you get a creature for every type of algae that appears, half of them won't work and the ones that do will probably turn out to eat your favorite specimen too. My emerald crab does nothing for algae, but threatens my fish. My rabbit ate all the caulerpa, and left a phosphate level that favors vallonia. Now vallonia is dying back and red macroalgae is appearing. Who knows what next?

mikenpam
05/28/2006, 12:29 AM
My emerald didn't touch the stuff while my foxface cleaned it up quickly. I wanted a foxface so it wasn't a problem for me to add it. I haven't had any other algae breakouts after having the buble algae eliminated.