PDA

View Full Version : coralife super skimmer

cruzincari
05/28/2006, 08:49 AM
just installed a coralife super skimmer in my 29 gal..this unit good for up to 65 gal tanks so its pretty huge in there..too late..i bought it already..anyways..was checking on the adjustments..i had trouble with the last visi jet skimmer and i sent it back so hopefully ill get some help with this....im following the instrucitons on how it shud be adjusted...its hard.....and that box that produces the microbubbles in the tank..shud there be bubbles coming out of that? i have that gray knob set to the right at a diagonal and the red knob up top is set so all those little dots are on the rite side...is this rite? also u have to unscrew this cup to eventually empty the foam (if i ever get any)? thats a hassle...i read somehwere theres a drain tube on there? i didnt see it nor any tubing to attach to any drain hole..any help with this would be appreciated..if i cant get this thing to work then to heck with the skimmers even tho i know they important...thanks...:confused:

agrusczak
05/28/2006, 09:37 AM
Follow the instructions that came with the unit. Let it run through the 72 hour break-in period before you open the grey valve all the way and adjust the red dial. Your patience will be rewarded.

By the way, I have the 65 on my 25 gallon tank. Yeah, it's bulky, but it really keeps my water clean.

cruzincari
05/28/2006, 10:16 AM
wait.wait....so where shud the gray dial be and the red dial be while its going thru the 72hr?

omni2226
05/28/2006, 10:31 AM
Read the instructions.....

Turn the grey dial which controls water flow from the pump to the 2 o clock or 10 o clock point, about 60 to 75% open.

Turn the red knob to fully open.

You should see water and a few bubbles in the bottom part of the skimmer. You WILL NOT or should not see any bubbles or foam going into the collection cup at this time.

The skimmer needs to be broken in. What this means is a slime coating will form inside the skimmer body and pump. Takes several hours for this to happen.

After at least 24 hours, 48 to 72 being better, turn the grey knob to the full open posistion ( pointing up to noon ) and adjust the water level in the skimmer with the red knob.

You want the bubbles just touching the bottom of the collection cup at first. Then you can adjust it for what ever kind of skim you desire.

There is no drain hole predrilled in the cup itself. There is a small partialy open drain opening in the top/cover of the cup where a drain line can be placed, but I dont use it myself.

agrusczak
05/28/2006, 10:34 AM
Put the grey dial at the diagonal setting as in the manual and adjust the red dial so the microbubbles stay below the collection cup cone. Then be patient and let the unit break in for 72 hours.

After the 72 hours, turn the grey dial to the full open position (dial vertical) and then adjust the red dial so that the water with the microbubbles climbs up into the cone. I set mine so the microbubbles come up about 1/2 inch into the cone. Then you have to wait a while before the foam builds up enough for it to climb up the cone and overflow into the cup.

omni2226
05/28/2006, 10:35 AM
The microbubbles will decrease as the skimmer breaks in. After the break in period there will still be a few microbubbles , but the sponges will catch these.

Marinemom
05/28/2006, 12:18 PM
I just set up my coralife superskimmer 125 for my 60 gallon reef just this past Wednesday night and I did not see any skimmate forming until late last night. That would be Saturday night about 72 hours after it was set up. Sounds about right. I can already tell the difference in my water. It appears to be much cleaner.

Marinemom

cruzincari
05/28/2006, 12:20 PM
um i mean the microbubbles inside the tank...not the unit..and im getting spurts of water out of the box in there that has the sponges in there even tho there is the one inch space in there..is it crucial to have that box a quarter inch outside of the water cuz mine is about half inch to an inch..it really hard to keep that quarter inch with the way the water level variates...

agrusczak
05/28/2006, 12:54 PM
Just give the unit some time to break in.

Marinemom
05/28/2006, 01:12 PM
The minimum is a quarter inch from the way I understand it. I just adjusted to about three quarters of an inch above the water and the bubbles have disappeared.

Marinemom

austin552
05/28/2006, 03:03 PM
You can trim a bit off the tube going into the collection box. This should help with the fluxuation and micro bubbles.

wrenchhead
05/28/2006, 03:25 PM
I have the 65 and the 125.the 65 does not have the place to add the drain tube.the 125 does.you might have to make one yourself.

cruzincari
05/28/2006, 04:41 PM
umm ive just started so theres nothing in the cup yet cuz i havent raised the water level yet...will those bubbles inside the tank ever go away?

RParker
05/28/2006, 06:26 PM
I would suggest drilling a pluming an overflow tube. I have the same skimmer and oddly enough it pumped out 10 gallons of water onto my carpet last night. I can't figure out why it did it either.. I hadn't touched in several days.. I guess it decided to burp itself.

It is a good litlte skimmer ontherwise.. It took mine about a week for the micro bubbles in the tank to dissapear.

cruzincari
05/29/2006, 10:42 PM
i think its finally working ..after 3 days its making foam and going into the overflow cup only thing is theres waste water in the cup not waste foam..are u doing the wet or dry foaming? also..to empty this cup out what do u do? turn the unit off of adjust with the gray valve so the water goes below that red ring so u can take it off? also the microbubbles in the tank have stopped and really after only 3 days the tank is crystal clear....that box still burps tho i dont know why...

puffer21
05/30/2006, 03:18 PM
Do anyone unit make a noise out of the silencer.