PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound for flow on 180 gal

pumpdogs
05/29/2006, 03:57 AM
I am going to run a sequence dart tee off to a spray bar behind the rocks and then to a sea swirl.My tank is not drilled for a closed loop so the plumbing will have to be external.My biggest concern is the spray bar behind the rocks blowing sand all over the place.Anybody else doing anything like this?My return pump is a genx 40 running to another seaswirl.

plaz
06/04/2006, 08:20 AM
I have a couple on a closed loop with DSB. They come up from the bottom - vertical to easily remove for cleaning. You will need to keep cleaning/re-drilling in mind, because eventually some of the holes will clog. mine don't mess up the sand because they are vertical and the holes blow across (I also went a few inches above the sand line before starting the holes).

pumpdogs
06/04/2006, 12:14 PM
Is it better to go a few inches above my sand or blow straight down to insure that there is no detrious.This would blow the sand from the back of the tank behind the rocks to the middle but I would think the sand storm would eventualy die down.

plaz
06/04/2006, 12:53 PM
When my seaswirl nozzle comes off, the water blows straight down - 20" to the sand. It has about 600gph output. The sand settles down after several hours, but it leaves a BIG dip and 4 inch hills of sand around it. I guess you would have to play with the angles and flow amount, but I wouldn't go straight down or use too high a flow for that.