PDA

View Full Version : plumbing Q

skriz
05/29/2006, 11:44 AM
I'm finnaly plumbing the 750 (total volume), but ran into a problem with them sump. It is glass, so I cant drill it.

In my sump I have a single 2" outlet. Can I put a tee on the end (1.5") and plumb 2 hammerhead pumps? Or will this be too much of a restriction?

thanks

cweder
05/29/2006, 05:07 PM
Two Hammerheads pulling water through your sump sounds like a recipe for micro-bubbles. One will likely give you micro-bubbles unless it is restricted quite a bit or you have a huge sump. One Hammerhead on a closed loop would be excellent. It is possible to plumb your pumps up and over the sump. You just have to use a self priming pump or fill the pipe going up and over to the pump with water first. Several members have done this, gregt for one I believe and others can help.

Fiziksgeek
05/29/2006, 05:58 PM
I agree with cweder, you just asking for trouble with that much flow through the sump. Can the overflows on your tank even handle that???

skriz
05/29/2006, 07:50 PM
one is for the skimmer and the other is for circulation.

As far as the overflow..I have four 2" drains. I have one setup with a durso. the other three are shorter with a screen. hopefully that will work. i have ball valves on them all, so they can be restricted if needed. I can even cap off a drain or 2 if I need to.

skriz
05/30/2006, 09:42 PM
this is really frustrating! why is it that when I asked the question about the pump I should use, nobody had anything to say against the hammerhead. Now that I spent the extra money on it rather than buying the dart (which is what I was initially thinking of getting), I get feedback that the pump is going to give me a headache?

:mad2:

Bill Wann
05/30/2006, 11:03 PM
Make a pipe that goes up and over the sum and then back down in to the sump . I do it all the tiem whem Iam too lazy to drill it .
How big is yor sump . Mine is 8 foot long by 30 wide and 24 high , I have two 1/4 horse and one 1/3 horse sequence pumps feeding off of it and no micro bubbles .

skriz
06/02/2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Bill! Good to hear about the bubbles thing.

the sump is 72"x24"x18".

the 1/3 hp sequence would be the same as the hammerhead. and the 1/4 would be the barracuda. if you have all three, and still have no bubbles, then I think I will be fine. how do you have your sump set up?