PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching Fake Coral HELP!!!

hazy
05/29/2006, 12:44 PM
I bleached my fake coral out of my FOWLR tank becuase they were getting pretty nasty. I followed the instructions of the manufaturer. Basicaly 50/50 bleach and water for 30 min, rinse for 15min, and then set in the sun to dry for 24 hours.

I was about to put them back in, but i noitced that they still had a little bit of a bleach smell on them. Is this normal, or do I need to re-risne them? I dont want to put them back in if it can hurt my fish.

jpfelix
05/29/2006, 01:01 PM
you could re-rinse with some dechlorinator.

hazy
05/29/2006, 01:17 PM
I just found out that the bleach I used was a scented bleach! Do you think that this could be the problem. I didn't even read the bottle. I just told my wife I needed bleach. I am re-rinsing them right now with dechlorinator, but if the scented bleach is bad then I think I will just throw them out.

mitzel
05/29/2006, 02:04 PM
Not sure about the scented bleach but I would really think twice about it if theres any scent left on them . after all thats how fish find food is via scent . and you don't need them looking for spring rain scented food .

What I do with my dead bleached corals and larger conch shells to get them clean is put them in the dish washer by them selves with a half cup of bleach . when its done washing I hit it again never had a problem. with a bleach smell or them coming clean .

mistergn10
05/29/2006, 06:26 PM
Put them in a trash can full of water and put some Prime in there and let them soak.

sunfishh
05/29/2006, 07:06 PM
I know you can't uses sented bleach to purify natural SW. It kills everything.