PDA

View Full Version : 180g bowfront owners - any regrets?

Dudester
05/29/2006, 12:54 PM
A friend down the road is moving and he wants to sell his 1 yr old Oceanic reef-ready bowfront tank, complete with canopy/stand, sump, chiller, and all other equipment. I am not really in the market for a new tank but, now that this is available, I'm considering it. A lot of his equipment is inadequate for maintaining a serious reef; I'd have to replace the lighting, skimmer, sump, and improve the circulation substantially.

I've heard of and read concerns regarding difficulties with bowfronts regarding the following:
1. distortion from the curved glass
2. keeping the glass clean
3. aquascaping due to narrower ends
4. lighting
5. circulation (specifically, "dead spots" where the glass is curved)
6. insufficient space beneath tank for equipment
7. photography through curved glass
8. decreased structural integrity of bowfront tanks in general
... and others.

So I ask you experienced bowfront reefers - if you could do it all again, would you stick with a bowfront considering the "hurdles" listed above?

pufferpoison
05/29/2006, 03:13 PM
actually i wish all my tanks were bowfronts. I have a 46G and have no problem cleaning it, distortion unless i try to see a problem. The aquascaping was actually easier with this for the way i wanted to set it up.

I have a 500GPH pump on my CSS125 and a seio 820 for now, but will be putting one more seio in there. Talk about dead spots, my poor 90G i can't seem to get a perfect mix no matter what, maybe with the bowfront, the front being curved helps with the current. Now lighting won't be a problem, i'm going with a 250W Icecap ballast, RO3 and a 14000k PHenix MH HQI system, SO i will be just hanging the light like a pendant. Don't know about you but my 46G bowfront is my pride and joy.

RobbyG
05/29/2006, 03:50 PM
I love my 90 Gal Oceanic. I have no problems cleaning it, the only distortion is the increased Magnification at the front and I actually see this as a big plus for owning the tank. Aquascaping is no problem as it looks cool when you curve the reef to match the shape of the glass, it gives it a very natural look.

I wish I had gotten a 180 RR Oceanic, thats a sweet tank.

Dudester
05/29/2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's nice to see favorable responses. But of course I'm open to all comments. Anyone else?

yoboyjdizz
05/29/2006, 10:12 PM
I think bowfronts look really cool espically the larger ones, if it was something smaller i would say skip it. My7 2 looked good but it was a pain to light and aquascape. But i say go for it.

chem-e
05/29/2006, 10:35 PM
I have no regrets with my 92 gal and I have no plans on replacing it. Of the disadvantages that you've mentioned, the only one that bothers me is the lack of space in the stand, but I'm getting by because I don't have a lot of toys (such as a calcium reactor).

I'd get it, especially if I could get it for a good deal.

Sk8r
05/29/2006, 10:52 PM
I have a 52 gallon bowfront. Here's my nickle's worth.

1. distortion from the curved glass: it magnifies a bit: it makes my nanofish really important.

2. keeping the glass clean: the curved glass means you have to use a razor blade: a flat scraper dances just ever so slightly over the bow, because it's probably done on a heated iron that left some inside ripples. But it's not bad, as long as your arm is long enough. I got the opentop Oceanic canopy, which jacks the lights up 9 inches, and that means a long arm is real good....

3. aquascaping due to narrower ends We put rock across the middle of the pie wedge, and found a really neat holey rock that completes our wedge behind, which we have jacked up on coral and the backs of the current rock and leaned against the corner downflow: result: cave. The fish think they're safe. We think they're observed. And if you have calm fish that won't have a heart attack, you could mirror the walls of the pie slice---because I assure you you can't get a mag float scraper in there anyway: a razor blade is your only means of cleaning it well.

4. lighting: I have a 250 mh/actinic with fans and a glass bottom, which I set athwart the wide end of the wedge, give or take 3 inches, atop my canopy. It gives me space to reach a hand in, but doesn't fall in. It's not the neatest arrangement, visually, but it sure is convenient. WHen I want access, I set the light kit, still on, down the long side of the pie slice, toward the downflow, and work away. I want the other side, I move it to the third wall. The canopy with its 9 inch freeboard also means no jumpers. They can go up, but they can't go out.

5. circulation (specifically, "dead spots" where the glass is curved) Definitely not: I mounted a Sea Swirl on the downflow wall, which is stout enough to take it. I get full coverage.

6. insufficient space beneath tank for equipment: that's a pain and a half. My intended sump wouldn't fit. So I have a 10 gallon sump. I got smart about the topoff, however, and bought an oak buffet cabinet (read: particle board/veneer fish stand, on the cheap---lousy stand, good piece of furniture, looks authentic: holds everything, and serves as a bucket-sitting spot for water changes, as well as a cat seat: ask our cat.)

7. photography through curved glass: not bad. I haven't noticed distortion, but I'm not a master photographer, just pretty good.

8. decreased structural integrity of bowfront tanks in general---mine is built like a brick---well, solidly. It's about half inch thick glass, pre-drilled, and I have no worries in that regard.

9. Getting wall access is difficult: you cannot have a HOB anything. Do set it square. It will drive you nuts if not.

10. If you want to do anything in the tank, there is only one way in: a ladder: there is no walk-around to try another angle. I use an ordinary kitchen stepstool. It's enough. In a 180---well, check that aspect out. If a fish gets into your overflow, you're going to have to get down in the base and take the downflow hose loose to get him, because you'd have to get scaffolding to go after him from above.

_K_E_P_
05/29/2006, 11:57 PM
I have no problems cleaning my bowfront with a magnetic cleaner

Dudester
05/30/2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback. When searching RC for information regarding bowfronts, I came across an overwhelming number of negative threads. The responses I've received thus far in this thread are, for the most part, quite positive. I'll look at this setup that's available very seriously.

What about the black stand/canopy that comes with the 180 RR Oceanic, any experience out there with this regarding accessability to the tank and space beneath?

RobbyG
05/30/2006, 12:00 PM
I have the Oceanic 92 RR and I just use a regular Magnetic cleaner with the Velcro type surface and it cleans the glass perfectly. I agree that the exact center of the magnet pad does not touch the surface but that causes the edges of the pad to be even harder pressed onto the Glass and the edges remove everything easily in just 2 or 3 passes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7461962#post7461962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I have a 52 gallon bowfront. Here's my nickle's worth.

2. keeping the glass clean: the curved glass means you have to use a razor blade: a flat scraper dances just ever so slightly over the bow, because it's probably done on a heated iron that left some inside ripples. But it's not bad, as long as your arm is long enough. I got the opentop Oceanic canopy, which jacks the lights up 9 inches, and that means a long arm is real good....

cantfindnemo
05/30/2006, 12:24 PM
As far as taking pictures of a bow front tank heres a link to my tank which is a 46gal bowfront. I think the pictures look ok.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=855504

Dudester
05/30/2006, 12:37 PM
cantfindnemo - Wonderful setup! Looking at the images I couldn't tell it was a bow until I saw the full tank shots. I'm convinced!

cantfindnemo
05/30/2006, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7464599#post7464599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
cantfindnemo - Wonderful setup! Looking at the images I couldn't tell it was a bow until I saw the full tank shots. I'm convinced!

Thanks I just wish I would of bought a bow front in 180 gallons instead of my 150 gal flat faced I have.

Sk8r
05/30/2006, 11:33 PM
I use the canopy and stand: stand is cramped, as per my post above.. Canopy is great, imho, if you don't use the drop-in top insert. It's 9 inches clearance, keeps fish from going over the edge.

SMS76
06/26/2006, 06:48 AM
Considering bow as well. More feedback please...

SMS76
06/26/2006, 03:55 PM
^^^

kappaknight
06/26/2006, 05:56 PM
I can't stand the distorted view of non-flat tanks. I don't know why Oceanic or whoever ever made that wavy tank. If you're not a Bowfront fan to begin with, I wouldn't consider it. I would go to the store or your buddy's house and study the view for a good amount of time before settling. Something about the distortion just really bothers me.

Ritten
06/26/2006, 06:47 PM
I've got the 54 gallon corner bowfront and love it. It was by far the easiest tank for me to acquascape. The cabinet space is a problem, but I make it work.

RobbyG
06/26/2006, 06:50 PM
I am not a big fan of the Wavy tank either but I do love the Bow front. I love the Magnified image I get, it makes everything look more pronounced and it's easier to see the details.

James77
06/27/2006, 05:24 PM
I have a Oceanic 175 Bowfront and love it. Aside from the depth, cleaning the glass is not difficult- I use a magnet cleaner and a 7 inch drywall knife. Any distortion is unnoticeable viewing it from the front, and kind of cool looking from the sides.

The aquarium does not feel as intrusive in a smaller room as a rectangular one would. As far as structural integrity, the tank is well built and I have no worries about leaks.

SMS76
06/28/2006, 09:32 AM
Do you run magnetic cleaner vertical, to clean glass to get around curve glass?

chem-e
06/28/2006, 10:02 AM
I have a Magfloat 125 and use it vertically. I bought it because I wanted something skinny since I was only utilizing the edges.

REEFERINDC
06/28/2006, 12:59 PM
Its a case of apples to oranges.Some will like the appearance and some will not.You would have to see the tank and judge for yourself.I personally am OK with a bowfront or straight tank and happen to enjoy both.

sinder255248
06/28/2006, 03:13 PM
I have a 72g bowfront, and must admit the space under the tank can be a problem, but I do like the magnification that the tank gives. Here's a picture:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/sinder255248/IMGP0123.jpg

To be honest when I move (3 weeks) I think I'm going to go for the two island look, as the current layout makes it kinda hard to place things.