PDA

View Full Version : Submerged Pump, Rubber Pad?

reefhw
05/29/2006, 12:57 PM
Do any of you place your submerged return pumps on anything, besides the bottom of the sump? The hum from the pumps, in my glass sump, is driving me nuts. Any good ideas on what I could place them on top of, that doesn’t need to be cleaned every week or more? (i.e. not a nitrate factory)
TIA

Blown 346
05/29/2006, 01:57 PM
A rubber pad could work for awhile until the saltwater breaks it down, you dont want it to relaease toxins into the water either.
I would get a rubber pad or pads that can be used with aquariums and use those, ateast you know it is safe to use.

mfinn
05/29/2006, 02:11 PM
I shortened the return line so that the pump was up off the botttom of the sump.

Ti
05/29/2006, 02:20 PM
I've heard of people using ,mouse pads

Bkndsdl
05/29/2006, 02:33 PM
I use rubber pads we use as gasket mat'l at the shipyard. I have also heard of people using mousepads.

mfinn, that might lead to stress on the pump head and the other end of the pipe conn, in my case the bhd to the tank. All the pump vibration ends at those two spots. Depending on pump size, you can see what that might cause....

Not trying to offend, I'm just a dumb pipe designer trying to help....:D

rsxs1212
05/29/2006, 02:48 PM
i havent had this problem but maybe you could put some aquarium safe silicon between the mounts or the bottom of the pump and the sump. just an idea that i used in rc to help virations stay minimal. like i said i have never done this mysself

mfinn
05/29/2006, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7459229#post7459229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bkndsdl
I use rubber pads we use as gasket mat'l at the shipyard. I have also heard of people using mousepads.

mfinn, that might lead to stress on the pump head and the other end of the pipe conn, in my case the bhd to the tank. All the pump vibration ends at those two spots. Depending on pump size, you can see what that might cause....

Not trying to offend, I'm just a dumb pipe designer trying to help....:D

No offense taken. We are all trying to help each other.
I've had my mag 9.5 suspended in the sump about an 1" above the bottom for about 1-1/2 years now and it seems to be fine. The actual weight of the pump is greatly reduced in salt water.
The other end is loc-line that goes over the top into the tank.
I use a flexable line all the way, so I have no hard pipe to transmit the vibrations.

Bkndsdl
05/29/2006, 03:12 PM
Cool deal! I started not to post when I saw the 60 years combined exp......I'm not worthy!

I always cringe when I see pics of big pumps (esp. external) with all that plumbing resting on the pump, with no hose or anything, transmitting all that weight and vibration right through to the plastic pump head........believe it or not, that pvc pipe and fittings weighs alot!

Glad you didn't take it the wrong way, and I stand corrected!

mfinn
05/29/2006, 04:03 PM
Some of those years overlap.lol.
One thing I have found to be a good vibration dampener for external pumps, is the rubber pipe insulation that is used on ship chiller systems.

sodaman
05/29/2006, 07:43 PM
flexible silicone air tubing will work - wrap it around your pump or run it through holes in the base if it has any

steveboo
05/29/2006, 07:55 PM
Im in the same boat here, I used 100 micron filter pad I had laying around. It seemed to do the trick but I had not thought about the nitrate factory theory. I kind of like Sodaman's idea with the silicone tubing, maybe I will try that.

Just my 2 cents.

reefhw
05/29/2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone.
I had tried airline tubing before it ended up getting pretty hard and less effective over time, but that wasn't the silicon type.
I will try it with some silicon tubing lying around. Or the micron pad idea sounds pretty good too, nitrates for no nitrates.
Is there such a think as aquarium "safe" rubber? If so who sells it, and want is it called?
I might try making a small mat or ring out of aquarium silicon glue.

larryl
05/30/2006, 07:28 PM
I have seen people using 100% silicone mats from kitchen supply stores - the ones made to put hot pots on.

AZDesertRat
05/30/2006, 07:51 PM
A 99 cent rubber mouse pad has worked for over 2.5 years with no degredation in my system.

szeth13
05/30/2006, 08:01 PM
hot glue works for me. i just glue it to the bottom of the pump when it's outsid eof the water and va la. i also use it to cover those metal screws on the mag pumps (im paranoid).

Arik
05/30/2006, 08:16 PM
I have a Mag 7 and I put a crapload of silicon on that little plate that it attaches to. It works perfectly; the sound of the water movement is louder than my pump now.

s3aL
05/31/2006, 01:07 AM
I stuck 4" Seio" suction cups to the bottom of my Eheim. No vibrations at all.

sodaman
05/31/2006, 06:31 AM
Did same here, found suction cups from another old pump and put them in the base of my Eheim. Got to love these pumps, can't even tell that they are on they are so quiet.