PDA

View Full Version : eel books

homestar
05/29/2006, 06:46 PM
are there any good books for caring for an eel?

stykthyn
05/29/2006, 11:10 PM
I doubt it, is there anything specific you want to know? lots of knowledgablr people here that have raised many eels.

sunfishh
05/30/2006, 12:04 AM
How about Keeping Moray Eels in Aquariums by Phillip Purser

pitt_prodigy
05/30/2006, 01:13 AM
^^ Great book listed above. Very informative and covered a wide variety of morays in the trade. I waited 1 year for it to come out!! Only disappointment is that its not very long.

DragonMorayEels
05/30/2006, 04:14 AM
I been keeping moray eels just about longer then most people who been in the hobby and I would have to say that any book one could find will never tell them in so much details in the caring for any eel for all or most books which can be found will all mostly speak of the most basics in keeping morays.

Unlike this new inexpensive "Keeping Moray Eels" In Aquariums> This book however offer to the beginner some heads up on a number of things from what I heard. For like when the hobbyist who does have an eel problem of some kind, it`s difficult to get that person to understand that anything can or could be a mist in their tanks water.

Like few months ago one persons dwarf moray was getting blisters and he or she thought that nothing was a mist with their aquarium waters for even that it was a reef tank, still must understand that not all your tank inhabitants will show the same effects. As well not all will show some effects as bad as the next. I was then only to believed that that dwarf eel had to be caught somehow in moved to a QT.

My one thought within that tank was of ammonia or nitrite levels and the thing on that is not all the test kits can read your aquariums slightest low levels. That one animal in your tank can feel in the long term the worst of effects from it while most other tank inhabitants feel nothing at all.

But in that $12.95 is something worth for the beginner, it gives the beginner an awareness on many mishaps which can occur for as many who only keep eels and see that their eels live while their other fish die out.

One thing for those who never kept eels is that eels are tougher and in any or most tanks mishaps the eel can prolong death and at most survive what other fish couldn't in a matter of days for if any problems such as swallowing a pinfish tail section first, your eel will seem to had suffered forever.

So yes, the book "Keeping Moray Eels" In Aquariums is a good beginners book for compare to what else is out there for the beginner will only be basic materials and does prove too be more worthless if I may be so bold to claim.

But over all, the true experiences will start in keeping moray eels will begin from your first year and either a person learns from it or the eel you keep will pay the price for your mistakes.

If I may, who ever looks to keep eels, please stay away from cheap foods such as pinfish or so and if you not hear this warning, please then make sure that the eel you have swallows the pinfish head first.

Buddy ><{{{{">

stykthyn
05/30/2006, 04:38 AM
did your eel get the spines lodged in his throat? that happened to my lionfish once.

DragonMorayEels
05/30/2006, 05:09 AM
did your eel get the spines lodged in his throat?

Gosh No! I never feed my eels chump foods for I thought I may it clear that one other person had done so. I feed my eels better then I feed myself, least that is what people say :o

homestar
05/30/2006, 02:19 PM
what i want to do is get a goldentail eel, that i'll be putting into a 150 gal tank, but i'm not sure if it's a hardy eel to start with. i've been succesfuly keeping a reef tank fo 2 years +, the reef started in my 45gal tank then moved to my 100gal tank and now back to my 45 gal tank. my 100 gal is being replaced with a 150 gal tall but i'm going to keep my reef in the 45gal tank and make the 150 gal a fish only with live rock. with my reef i've kept a young naso(when it was in the 100gal) it was 1'+ when i changed tanks, a yellow tang also got rid of, 3 green cromis, a diamond goby, lawn mower blenny, and a firefish.

i'm not sure what else i want to keep in this tank, thinking on a tangand one or two more fish.

and what is it that you feed your eels?

DragonMorayEels
05/30/2006, 08:54 PM
homestar, You can select any eel species and it would be more hardier then any fish you know of for eels in general are far hardier creatures then and tang, triggerfish or pufferfish or any other fish you care to mention.

Now from what you mention is in your tank, you not want a goldentail in with those, the best suggestion I cam offer you is a dwarf moray.

As for what I feed my eels, that`s a pair of DME`s and a pair of goldentails> I feed them once away and their meal differ from the one before for I feed octopus, squid, shrimp, scallops and most available fresh fish from salmon to grouper and many others that I cut into strips and feed from a spear that I made or put together and also feed clams when they eat it and I buy it fresh as well.

It is because of your smaller fish in why I am suggesting to you a dwarf moray>

demons
05/30/2006, 09:55 PM
hi there,

i bought a snowflake about a month ago and he is great.....

i have him feeding of a stick, but he is such a gutz...

how often do u feed your eels?????

mine is only about 30 cms long

DragonMorayEels
05/31/2006, 12:24 AM
how often do u feed your eels?????

I feed them once away

OOPS!! :D It was supposed to say :eek2:

I feed them once a week ;)

pitt_prodigy
05/31/2006, 12:46 AM
I feed once a week as well.

demons
05/31/2006, 10:00 PM
thanks very much

how much should i feed a young eel of the size i mentioned..

when i feed the other fish (usually brine ect ect) he come out and swims around searching for food

DragonMorayEels
05/31/2006, 11:49 PM
No matter what size the eel, when you feed it you feed until it refuses to eat more an eel not stuff itself to death.

And why not try getting it some fiddler crabs?

T-T-Trigger
06/01/2006, 11:02 AM
REEF FISHES VOLUME 1 - (caps intentional :) ) is a really nice book for eel id, compatability, and husbadry. thumb through it next time you're at the fishy store.

pitt_prodigy
06/02/2006, 01:31 AM
A very good book as well! Short on description.... directly to the point... a must-have for anyone in this hobby!