PDA

View Full Version : easy *CHEAP* nano chiller!!!!!

mr pink floyd
05/29/2006, 06:46 PM
i took my tom aquatic pump i use for ATO, put it so it pumped water in from the tank, then through the return hose, it ran 2 coils through an old insulated lunchbox, filled with ice, and ice packs

it chilled the water good, but a little slow, i am gogin to try again this summer with a MJ400 and vynil tubing!

any other nano chilling expiernces?

spline9
06/01/2006, 12:39 AM
If you do this, you might want to do the following modifications to increase chilling ability;

1. use salted water with ice in the lunchbox (or cooler). This will help the water reach colder temps.
2. use wire around the vinyl tubing and make it into a coil (make sure its not touching itself, though). This will increase how long its in the ice water.

Vinyl isnt the most heat conductive material but if youre doing ghetto chilling, then it will still work. I think part of why it worked so well is due to the slow gph of the Tom pump. A MJ400 may be too fast for it. I dont know, try out both and see how it goes.

The only drawback to this is that you have to maintain the ice to keep it cold for long periods of time.

Cody Ray
06/01/2006, 12:53 AM
You might try using computer fans to blow across the tubing, this will help cool the water but not as well as the ice. However this would be easier than trying to keep a constant temp using ice.