PDA

View Full Version : overnight algae

hayley2684
05/30/2006, 12:00 AM
This morning when i woke up i notice quite a bit of algae. some of my rocks and sand have a golden colour on them. two of the rocks have a very fine dark green in paches over them (one is right near the thermostat ) another has plumes of red sort of clump like but only small.

the rest of the rocks have no growthon them at all they are the same as they were before and i haven't done anything to the tank that i know of to make this happen. are any of the algaes good or do i need to try and get rid of them all?

current inhabitants include 4 oclaris clowns and 2 corla banded shrimp.

bertoni
05/30/2006, 09:53 PM
How long has the tank been running? Blooms like this are fairly common in new tanks.

dime079
05/30/2006, 09:57 PM
sounds like what happened to me, seems like one morning i woke up and had to start cleaning the glass after seeing nearly ZERO algae growth for the first 5 weeks. from what i read this is typical in a new tank, as bertoni said, so i wouldnt sweat it unless it starts getting out of control then you may have to take action. the red clumps? i dont know exactly what it is but i have had that on one of my rocks when i bought it and it hasnt appeared to be growing so just keep an eye out.

hayley2684
05/31/2006, 01:59 AM
the tanks only been up and running for just over a month. had fish in it now for almost 2 weeks.

thanks guys. it's always good to know you're not the onlyone :)

juke
05/31/2006, 12:27 PM
that is a good sign that the cycle is truly complete on a newly established tank...

completely normal - you may want to do a 10-20% waterchange and add a small clean up crew and in a couple of days it will be gone

bertoni
05/31/2006, 01:51 PM
I agree that it'll likely go away on its own. If not, just post back in a few weeks. The water changes sound like a fine idea.