PDA

View Full Version : LPS plague?

21Reefman
05/30/2006, 02:04 AM
Well, monti eating nudi's, redbugs, flatworms, zoa eating nudi's.... is there a blasto parasite? I have a mixed reef and all seemed healthy, until... it now seems not as healthy. I have noticed all the blasto seems to look unhappy, small and receeding! Is there some parasite that I need to look for?

21Reefman
05/30/2006, 10:07 AM
So, does the silence mean that 25 people have never heard of any LPS eating parasite?? Could the monti eating nudi's larval stage, feed on any LPS? There is no more montipora in the tank, and I figure the nudi's are still present, in some stage of development. What will they feed on if no monti food source? Is a pavona at risk for these nudi's? Chalice coral?

stevedola
05/30/2006, 10:53 AM
Maybe the 25 people that looked dont know. I personally have never heard of blasto eating nudies. I do know however that blastomussae have the tendancy to suddenly receed especially wellsi sp. I have had it happen to me twice in which the colony of large polyps retracted for a few days and eventually started to receed. No water problems but it could have been coral toxins that stressed it out-I just dont have a definate answer to why. I was able to save 3 polyps this last time which of the three I still have 1(traded the other 2). Finally I have that 1 polyp rebudding new heads all over the place now-even in the dead skeleton from the melt down 9 mths ago. I cant offer you more than that story.

21Reefman
05/30/2006, 11:07 AM
That sort of confirms by suspicion that it could be coral toxins, I just want consider all the possibitities. I want to move the blasto's to my SPS tank yet I was worried about cross contamination, if it IS some sort of parasite.

Thanks, for sharring. Don't be sorry, that is your story and that is what I want to hear. I just know everyone has an opinion and after 25 views and 0 replies, I know some are just holding back.

duec22
05/30/2006, 11:30 AM
I've never heard of any LPS specifity parasites, but I'm sure that they are out there. It sounds more like a water quality issue. How are you testing your salinity? (swing arm or refractometer)

Underwaterparadise
05/30/2006, 08:50 PM
Try doing a search here on RC you will see a few threads talking about it. I owned 10 healthy colonies at one time for well over a year then all of a sudden they started dyeing and now I only have 2 left :( So far it is unexplained

21Reefman
05/30/2006, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7467769#post7467769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maddness
Try doing a search here on RC you will see a few threads talking about it.

LOL, I have never even tried, I heard ya' need to pay for it to work.
Have a link saved?

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, I hate losing cool coral.

I had one that just self destructed and dissolved. These are diff. they seem like they are just retracted, like when too much light.

Underwaterparadise
05/30/2006, 09:48 PM
My suggestion is too move them to very low light and flow and hope for the best. Sorry I did not save the link.

waterfaller1
05/31/2006, 10:03 PM
Feed them.

MiddletonMark
06/01/2006, 04:52 AM
Yup, I'd agree with feeding. At worst, they have more energy to fight off whatever they have - if they have anything.

oddballs
06/01/2006, 02:18 PM
if you think its coral toxins do you run carbon to help reduce or get rid of the toxins??

waterfaller1
06/01/2006, 02:22 PM
Carbon can help. Look up allelopathy.

The Beaut
06/01/2006, 02:58 PM
Make sure you target feed them. I have a few colonies of which one for no apparant reason started to recede and die. I put in a dark area and very low flow, after a few weeks i saved 4 out of the 12 polyps. Now it is doing great again. The other colonies are doing fine.

21Reefman
06/01/2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help! I have thriving, reproducing turbastrea(sun coral) and there was always a cyclopeeze storm, I over feed for most :) I did stop feeding for a 3 week period because I had a red cyno bloom, thats gone now and though I have begun to feed again, i'm out of cyclopeeze. I also have 2 Colonies that look fine, (merletti and welsi) they seem bigger even.?
I might post some pics

Is there a starfish that could be munching on these? I have small ones with purple and green, not the normal white's (brittle and other normal small white I have too, those know are good)

gtg Eat:)

xdusty6920
06/01/2006, 11:44 PM
alot of people including myself have been dealing with this issue for a long time with blasto w. its kind of unexplained. an interesting theory ive heard is that maybe blastos are chemically active towards one another. this is one that i can not completely ignore because in my case and in most cases, there are several colonies in which one suddenly starts receding.
but until the blastos mystery is solved heres what to do. low flow, low light, regular feedings. if it get down to almost nothing left, lugols dips or fragging can be a last resort solution, but i wouldnt recommend it unless you have to. good luck.

21Reefman
06/02/2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks xdusty6920, that is good to know. I target fed last night with a kent product we had, that has cyclopeeze in it, phytoplex? Anyway I wil see how thew look today.

I have a Q about the blasto on blasto toxins? I just bought a lg blasto piece that had been epoxyd together, merletti and welsi both touching and diff welsi all touching also. Will this eventually be bad? I would not let them touch, recently everyone told me they could touch, what do you think?

stevedola
06/02/2006, 01:23 PM
i havent had any problems with like species even merletti/welsi touching. INE, leathers, torches, and anemones are the worst when contacting other species.

oddballs
06/03/2006, 05:45 PM
try feeding two little fishes zo plan its a way better food for lps than cylopese ive turned about 10 users of cyclopese users into users of it because there sun corals go nuts over it!!also acanss,blastos,favites ,favia and a ton of other lps dig it and my acros really seem to be doing great since i started feeding it!