PDA

View Full Version : strange blennie

kravi
05/30/2006, 08:05 AM
Okay, so after cycling my tank for way too long (about 6 weeks, because I didn't have time to run to the LFS), I finally managed to go out and pick up my first fish.

He (or she) is a rather handsome bi-colour blennie, purple and orange. At the fish store he was energetic (resting for a while, and then flitted about). He also ate quite happily. :)

So I brought him home. After acclimating to my tank (in the usual manner), he promptly sat down on my sand bed. Then, after fifteen minutes or so, he darted around for a bit, and then promptly grew roots on a rock.

Then he flitted about a bit more, and discovered a large, empty, snail shell. This, apparently, he decided would be his new home. He's now been there overnight. I will try feeding him at lunch today (I go home for lunch).

Should I be concerned that he's just sort of moved into a snail shell? Is this normal behavior? Even in the middle of the night (I got up to make some tea) he was still there.

Thanks,

--Me

gregr
05/30/2006, 08:18 AM
I believe that is normal. Blennies are great fish- you made a good choice!

kravi
05/30/2006, 09:00 AM
A friend of mine has a blenny and I've always admired it. Fun fish. Lots of character.

I'm not sure if I'm worried because it is my first fish, or if it is because of impending fatherhood (my wife's neurotic behavior can be contageous) :)

Just worried about him.

--Me

Sk8r
05/30/2006, 09:04 AM
He's being a blenny. They love shells.

dous
05/30/2006, 09:05 AM
any pics ;)

kravi
05/30/2006, 09:07 AM
I'll take some pictures tonight :) Of my fish, though, not my pregnant wife :)

--Me

gregr
05/30/2006, 09:11 AM
Congratulations :D