PDA

View Full Version : Blue Legged Hermits and Turbo Snails

Reefrock
05/30/2006, 09:08 AM
Hello.

I am setting up a new reef tank and the cycle is complete. I was planning on adding blue legged hermits, turbo snails,etc. It is a 75gl tank. I have had reef tanks for 10yrs. My question is this: is there still a benefit to adding blue legged hermits and turbo snails? Or should I be investing my money in something else?

Thanks!
Reefrock

kraze3
05/30/2006, 09:16 AM
Many add both snails and hermits to their reefs while some prefer just snails. There is a possibility a hermit may kill a snail for the shell. I have both and I like watching both. If there ar eplenty of extra shells the hermits shouldnt be killing off snails. There are other kinds such as zebra or scarlet hermits and there are other snails also its just all in what you like

Infern0
05/30/2006, 10:41 AM
I have blue leg red leg and 3 types of snails...all carry their own benefits.

Wryknow
05/30/2006, 10:48 AM
Turbos are great algae eaters and the hermits are excellent detrivores and general scavengers. They get along just fine in my tank and make excellent additions to the cleaning crews.

jpmcca01
05/30/2006, 10:54 AM
Turbos are good, but make sure you bolt down everything b/c they are heavy and can knock stuff over easily.

jpmcca01
05/30/2006, 10:56 AM
Oh also, I have seen my turbos "cling" to each other 3 high. (Eating algae off each other) They knocked a powerhead over!

Wryknow
05/30/2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah - I had a turbo that was giving my queen conch fits last night. It was riding on her back and it threw her balance off. Everythime she tried move the turbo hitch hiker's weight rolled her over onto her back. :) Good thing there aren't any conch predators in my tank.