PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Bubble Algae and Parasitic Snails

gmckinley
05/30/2006, 11:27 AM
Hello - Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed my main display tank with increased populations of bubble algae about 1/8-1/2 inch in diameter. When I did some thorough maintenance of the refugium yesterday I noticed the bubble algae has growth out of control. Is this stuff harmful? If so, any prevention suggestions?

I also noticed for the first time small while pyramid shaped parasitic snails attached to a larger snail. These are the kind that have a bad reputation for infesting clams. Since I have three clams in the tank, I'm looking for any good ideas on getting rid of these or at least mamaging them so they don't become a problems for my clams.

Thanks for any advice.

Travis L. Stevens
05/30/2006, 11:47 AM
Double check to make sure that they are the dreaded Pyramid Snail (most likely at the moment, I'm afraid) and not something like the harmless detrivore, Rissoa Snails. They look amazingly similar unless you have a microscope. As far as the Valonia is concerned, it's just an invasive algae. It doesn't release poisons, it's not toxic, but it's just unsightly. Contrary to rumor, there is only a small chance when you pop them that they are actually going to release spores. In fact, only a fraction of the bubble algae in a tank is in it's reproductive state. FWIW, I pop all my bubble algae, and I'm able to keep it under control (when I remember to do tank maintenance :D )

gmckinley
05/30/2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks - Any suggestions how I can tell the difference between the dangerous snails and the harmless ones you are referring to? Any ways to control/eliminate them?

Travis L. Stevens
05/30/2006, 12:04 PM
As horrible as it sounds, count your snails and clams as often as possible. If you start to come up short, than they are definitely first suspect. Also, keep a CLOSE eye on the snails and clams. If you see them on your clams, that's most likely bad news. Occassionally, left your clam for closer inspection if possible. If not, disturb it just enough that it will close up and look all around it.

As far as controlling goes, you could use copper....but that will kill all the other invertebrates in the tank :D So, don't do that. Various wrasses are reported to pick at them. Six Line and Yellow Coris Wrasse being the most common. Other than that, you might be out of luck. If your tank was barren of mollusks, you might be able to make a little trap and bait it with raw scallop and leave it in for a few hours or over night. Then check, throw out any ones that you caught, rebait, and repeat the process.

Travis L. Stevens
05/30/2006, 12:05 PM
Oh, and if possible, remove your snails and clams to QT. When you do this, make sure that you inspect each mollusk carefully.

gmckinley
05/30/2006, 12:09 PM
When you say "count your snails" - do you mean the pyramid snails or other snails in the tank? Do the pyramid snails attack other snails? The reason I ask is that most of my large snails have died in the last 6-9 months or so. From an attack by the pyramid snails? I dont' know. No other problems in the tank.

racrumrine
06/02/2006, 09:06 PM
When I see the pyramid snails ganging up on another snail. I take the host out of the tank and rub or knock off all the parasites. It gives the host a chance to recover.

Best of luck,

Roy

miracles38
06/02/2006, 11:40 PM
I had the pyramid snails kill my 3 astria's. I didn't realize that they killed astria's (and only astria's and clams I believe) until it was too late. My clam is still alive, but I check it about twice a week and remove a few of the pyramids.

racrumrine
06/03/2006, 04:32 AM
Per Dr Ron, the type of pyramid snails that attack clams don't attack snails and visa versa. They also won't survive without a host to feed on.

I guess it is possible to have both types in the same tank if you have snails and clams.

Best of luck,

Roy

Sir Crabby
06/03/2006, 06:00 AM
I have the pyramids also which killed my 2 clams. never seen them till the clams were gone and they sarted showing up on my turbo and other snails. In Sprungs book Reef Aquarium vol. 1 and states certain wrasses and clam farm use a special crab that eats pyramids. The wrasses that eat them are the Halichoeres melenurus (Hoeven's wrasse), Halichoeres chloropterus(Dark-blotched wrasse) are the best or any in the Halichoerus genus, also the book states six or four lined wrasses will but I have a six lined and he dont touch them. I've been pulling my snails out every other day and removing them by hand and that has been working well. I'm down to only a couple pyramids a week.

reefshadow
06/03/2006, 08:05 AM
Per Dr Ron, the type of pyramid snails that attack clams don't attack snails and visa versa.

this was my understanding as well.

treat it just like you would on a clam. remove the host, brush off any of the snails.

6 line wrasses are also commonly used for control of these buggers.

mbbuna
06/03/2006, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7489531#post7489531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racrumrine
Per Dr Ron, the type of pyramid snails that attack clams don't attack snails and visa versa.

thats what he says. ive asked for some type of documentation on this but never received it.

there are over 1000 different types of pyrams. ive seen many people say that the one that they have had have feed on both there clams and snails. with over 1000 different types i dont think its a stretch to say some only feed on clams, some only on snails, some on both, and some wont touch ether.

some wrasses will eat them but pyrams feed at night and wrasses sleep at night so at best they might control them but not eradicate them. the best way to get rid of them is to remove and inspect your snails and clams 3x a week about 2 hours after lights out. take a tooth brush and brush the shell. do this for a month then slow down to 1x a week for a dew more months.