PDA

View Full Version : changing carbon on r/o unit

cottam411
06/01/2006, 04:22 AM
when should the carbon be changed on a r/o unit is there an accurate chlorine/chloramine tester mine has been in a year also says its coconut shells and not carbon

kau_cinta_ku
06/01/2006, 04:27 AM
change carbon and sediment filter every 6 monthes regardless and DI when exaustsed

old salty
06/01/2006, 07:00 AM
Unless I am mistaken, the carbon is carbon made from coconut shells; still carbon though. AZDesertRat can comment as to whether or not your filter removes chloramines - most certainly removes chlorine though.

^^^^Like kau stated, change the carbon and sediments every 6 months. I like to soak the filter housings in a 20:1 water:bleach mixture to sanitize them.

AZDesertRat
06/01/2006, 07:58 AM
Any carbon will remove chlorine. GAC and carbon blocks are only partially effective at removing chloramines though. For chloramines there is a fairly new product on the market called Catalytic Carbon. Most vendors offer it either as a replacement or already as a part of some of their RO/DI units designed for reef use. I know Purelyh2o and Air Water & Ice have it, I am not sure of others but you can always ask.