PDA

View Full Version : frogspawn, water too hot?

sammiefish
06/01/2006, 08:59 AM
My water temp went from 82 to 89 over a day or two...(hot weather)
My frogspawn looked great then the next day all I can see is skeleton.
Is it hiding deep in the skeleton or is 89 too hot and killed it...
It just happened so fast!!!

Travis L. Stevens
06/01/2006, 09:03 AM
It's difficult to tell without a picture. Most likely it is just seriously withdrawn. But there is a chance that it died or possible did Polyp Bailout. I would attempt to get the water back in temperature in a timely manner before anything else gets too stressed out. Might I recommend freezing a couple bottles of water and adding them to your tank.

sammiefish
06/01/2006, 09:11 AM
thanks, I couldnt see any tumbleweed polyps rolling around... I froze some of the purified water and put it in the sump... and will repeat this... also installed the AC last night, went to just one MH lamp, and turned off the light in the sump.... hopefully the temp will get back down soon...

Im just not sure how "withdrawn" these things can get... Ive never seen it this withdrawn before... and all the polyps (skeletons) look the same... about 10-15 on this stalk...

thanks for the reply

tanku
06/01/2006, 09:13 AM
it's probably a good idea to do a water change, just in case you have die off of other organisms.

Travis L. Stevens
06/01/2006, 09:14 AM
Polyps on Euphyllidae can pretty much disappear to pop up later.

sammiefish
06/01/2006, 09:26 AM
im glad to hear that... cause' they have pretty much disappeared

addicted_2_reef
06/01/2006, 06:05 PM
My tank runs at around 83 to 84 this time of the year maybe higher during the really hot days and my frogspawn looks great.

dtburton75
06/01/2006, 08:24 PM
My frogspawns or any of my LPS for that matter don't like anything above 79 it seems the cooler it is the better polyp extension so I keep it 74-77.

Ice bottles in the sump and a fan blowing across the top works great for me in the summer. Just watch the evaporation it will be fast.