PDA

View Full Version : Going for an eel this time..

swims withthe fishes
06/01/2006, 09:38 AM
yeah, i'm picking up a brand new aga 75E tank,stand,versa,twin tube light for $320.... can't argue with that, but what to put in it???
no time, money or energy for a big reeftank right now....

well why not a tesselata...?

the tank isn't drilled, and i'm not one to go putting holes in perfectly good glass, so what's a good filter for this thing that will help keep the top pretty sealed...?
i was thinking about a canister, even though i hate em...

i think a HOB like the emperor would open up too much space for the bugger to poke through....

an overflow and sump just ins't going to happen with me right now....
That new fluval FX5 looks like a bad mother....

whatcha thoughts??

redboxer13
06/01/2006, 09:54 AM
tesselata is a good sized eel, I would try a smaller eel.

FMarini
06/01/2006, 09:55 AM
I think its an idea you need to think about seriouly.
That tessy will outgrow the tank in 6-10 month and you'll require a 180 or bigger to house it by the end of 2 yrs. On top of it, tessy make really bad tankmates and routinely devour each and every fish mate they have, regardless of how aggressive they are -fish sleep.

Next, the filtration you mention will most likely not handle the waste level of this fish, consider doing frequent large volume water change in addition to the cannister. Also consider some sort of protien skimming as well to manage the waste. You'll have to fed this eel copious amounts of meaty food.

I'm not going to tell you no, but please consider your decision first. I think these eels are great for people who know up front this will be an investment in time, $$, and space.
Most pet stores or public aquariums won't take a 5 ft long tessy -so it will be yours for a long time

redboxer13
06/01/2006, 10:05 AM
Yep FMarini, that pretty much sums it up.
I am in the works of setting up a 120 AGA with a 30-40 gallon sump, I would LOVE to get a Tesselata, but i feel my tank is too small. I good skimmer is a must with these guys because they are messy eaters. I'm not one of those a Skimmer is a must with all Tanks, (I have a beatiful 72 with lots of cheato in the sump for over a 1 1/2 years) but with a preditory tank I would incline to say a skimmer is a must. Golden tails eels, Bannana eels, Snow flake are smaller eels.

swims withthe fishes
06/01/2006, 12:28 PM
the only other eel that i'm really attracted to is the maroon zebra Gymnomuraena zebra http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1901_19538240 marine depot calls it "up to 18" " HAHA! that's funny little joke... i had one previously in a 125 with a panther grouper roomate, he was about 5ft when i sold him to a friend.

Gymnomuraena zebra i can't find from any distributor right now...
the tessy was Lg for $69
The Gymnothorax Funebris is a good lookin eel but i can buy it 12-18" for $169
i can get the tiger morray (Gymnothorax Fimbriatus) Med/large(whatever that means) for $20

the eel(no matter which i get) will be the only inhabitant of the tank(aside from maybe a few damsels here and there)

upon reading up on the FX5 it's not quite the canister i thought it was.... i thought it would be more comparable to a mag9running with an ocean clear but it's pretty much just the same old hagen apparently... so i would probably be considering more of a closed loop with an ocean clear canister and an md4 pump....

FMarini
06/01/2006, 01:37 PM
Glad your rethinking this, but please do some homework.
I say this becuase the other eel your offered is NO better. G funebris is a common "green moray eel" you know the one from "the deep". 6ft plus, eats your hand, etc. Its no better suited in this tank

The other eels you mention will be fine. tiger morays stay relatively small (have you read scott micheals "reef fish vol1"- it has a whole section of keeping eels), and will allow you to keep other tankmates.
heres an article on zebra eels. I love em
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.htm

syndrome
06/01/2006, 02:37 PM
The "tiger" eel is the firmbriated eel. It would need a larger tank then a 75 gallon.
A goldentail moray or snowflake would be great in that tank

DragonMorayEels
06/01/2006, 02:48 PM
swims withthe fishes, I had a response all type out for you and I see that it not be needed to post it, I am rather glad that you heard the words of FMarini :)

If you are still undecided in the eel species, then take the time to carefully thought out your tanks setup for it best to have the tank of selection for some moray eel to be completely setup, in advance.

You have a wide ocean(s) of eel species to choose from. From most people that I see today would want fish with their eels so in any community type of tank with fish the SFE or zebra be more ideal.

Good luck in making your eel of choice ;)

DragonMorayEels
06/01/2006, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7478573#post7478573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by syndrome
The "tiger" eel is the firmbriated eel. It would need a larger tank then a 75 gallon.
A goldentail moray or snowflake would be great in that tank

Sorry, their two separately species for the tiger moray (Gymnothorax enigmaticus) and the Gymnothorax fimbriatus (Fimbriated moray) are not one and the same.

syndrome
06/01/2006, 04:01 PM
I know. Swim withthe Fishes said "i can get the tiger morray (Gymnothorax Fimbriatus) Med/large(whatever that means) for $20
"
I was pointing out that this fish is the firmbriated not the tiger

DragonMorayEels
06/01/2006, 04:06 PM
I was pointing out that this fish is the firmbriated not the tiger

I understood you perfectly syndrome :D It`s just that they are two separately species with the firmbriated the most aggressive.

syndrome
06/01/2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah I had the privalege of getting a firmbriated out of my neighbors tank to be transfered. 3 feet of muscle and a whole buch of teeth. almost lost a finger.

swims withthe fishes
06/01/2006, 04:56 PM
I know. Swim withthe Fishes said "i can get the tiger morray (Gymnothorax Fimbriatus) Med/large(whatever that means) for $20

That's why i try to back the common name up with the scientific..
my supplier refers to the Gymnothorax Fimbriatus as the "tiger moray" they are located in cali... here on the east coast a supplier will call it by another common name...

the more i think about it the more i think i'd like to have the zebra again (Gymnomuraena zebra), he was a nice guy except for his destuctive nature on my rockwork i really liked him......

Triggerman1964
06/02/2006, 08:31 AM
I love my big fella.He is so gentle and lax.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mikedonajkowski/EElBuddies005.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mikedonajkowski/11-02-2005014.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mikedonajkowski/b4dr.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mikedonajkowski/11-02-2005009.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mikedonajkowski/ZebraEelandLakeport028.jpg[IMG]

Zebras are fantastic animals.

redboxer13
06/02/2006, 01:07 PM
Wow, thats some sweet pics, beautiful Zebra.
Trigger man is your 75 the Zebra's in. How ya keep it so clean.

swims withthe fishes
06/05/2006, 12:57 PM
he's a fine spec... has a lot more white than my last, the white bands wher very slender... what size PVC is that they hang out in...? and may i ask what are you doing for filtration on your 75?

-chris