PDA

View Full Version : another mrc mr-2 question

Benny Z
06/01/2006, 01:07 PM
is it advisable to add an additional 8" to the reaction chamber (essentially making the skimmer a mr-3) using dual becketts and a pcx-55 pump?

tia
- ben

Ereefic
06/01/2006, 01:25 PM
People who have used the pcx-55 (or equivalent) have said it isn't enough pump for dual becketts. A BL70 (or equivalent) will drive dual becketts much better, and I would add the riser as well.

DocG
06/01/2006, 02:44 PM
A PCX-55 is the bare minimum pump for a dual beckett MR-3. You will be much happier going with the bigger pump.

When I had my MR3 with the PCX55 it was pretty good. When I added an extension and kept the PCX55 the performance actually decreased. Upgraded the pump to a PanWorld 250PS and the skimmer is easily 5-10 times better then the old setup. This convinced me in a major way that the bigger pumps make a huge difference and that the MR3 was underdriven by the PCX55.

Go with the better pump (the blueline70 should be perfect for the MR3 equivalent that you are running). You will be absolutely amazed at how big a difference a pump will make on these skimmers.

Benny Z
06/01/2006, 06:40 PM
i already have the pcx-55 pump and the mr-2 dual beckett skimmer. i really wasn't planning to upgrade the pump.

so what i am hearing is that i should either upgrade the pump (not going to happen any time soon) or stick with the current height skimmer chamber.

right?