PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lighting

cmay
06/01/2006, 01:44 PM
Hi,

Im new to the forum so hi to all.

I've fallen for the beauty of marine life, the colours, coral, fish and the fact I can set up and watch my own eco system in my home.

My objective is to set up my 4 ft tank with live rock/coral reef, fish and various other live stock which will support and live with each other.

I'm planning to set my rock on a raised egg island (using spray bar going down and under the rock to improve water flow and filtration through the rock) and position water flow jets in various other places (close system)

I just recently purchased a Deltec APF600 and im now planning my sump design.

If possible can anyone advise/links on DIY lighting.

I'm thinking of the following or does anyone think this is overkill (50gal tank 20" deep)

4 x T5 39w (2xwhite/2xblue)
2 x MH 240w (2x14k or 1x14k and 1x10k)

In order to keep price down im going to build a unit to fit in my hood.

I have 4 x 25w T8's in the hood already so maybe I do not need to add T5's and just replace the T8 with marine bulbs.

I hoping to eventually stock my tank with shrimp, crabs, fish, coral, anemones (in this order)

Thanks for your help,

Chris

smcdonn
06/01/2006, 06:31 PM
I picked up some 250watt electronic MH ballast from affordablelighting.

Got the reflectors from hellolights. Grand total for 2 ballast and 2 reflectors was like $220. Not too bad. Then you need bulbs though. Those are just personal opinion on what you like. Hope this helped a bit

Phyxius
06/01/2006, 06:36 PM
I have a 4 ft 90 tank that I did the DIY lighting and canopy for. It has dual 250 watt MH`s and 2 VHO actinics in it. You could do the 2 MHs and 2-T5 blues and it would work good. I wouldnt think you would need the other 2-T5 whites if running the MHs. It would let you keep almost anything you want with that. It will (MHs)heat the water up some if you dont vent your canopy/hood in some manner. Keep that in mind when designing your hood.

cmay
06/02/2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks, I will take into consideration heat levels, I just can believe how expensive light systems.

Affordablelighting have cheep ballast, im in the UK so im not to sure if that will keep the price down due to shipping, I will look for similar ballast in the uk.

Mike, I checked out you pics, did you do all the DIY yourself (fantastic)

Do you know if you can daisy chain or serial connect 2 x lamp holders to 1 x ballast (2 x 250w connected to a 500w ballast) I guess this will not work due to requiring to starters.

Thanks again.

chris

gvibes
06/02/2006, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7482240#post7482240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmay
Thanks, I will take into consideration heat levels, I just can believe how expensive light systems.

Affordablelighting have cheep ballast, im in the UK so im not to sure if that will keep the price down due to shipping, I will look for similar ballast in the uk.

Mike, I checked out you pics, did you do all the DIY yourself (fantastic)

Do you know if you can daisy chain or serial connect 2 x lamp holders to 1 x ballast (2 x 250w connected to a 500w ballast) I guess this will not work due to requiring to starters.

Thanks again.

chris
98% sure what you suggest wouldn't work.

Phyxius
06/02/2006, 10:17 AM
cmay,
Yes I did all the DIY stuff in the gallery. I have built all my stand and canopies in the pictures. I just got an offer to do another for a old neighbor who is getting into saltwater reefs also

Like gvibes said I dont really think its possible to daisy chain the ballast and lights like that.

Hobster
06/02/2006, 11:28 AM
Phyxius,

Very nice work on your stands and canopy!. Did you use any plans or just design it on your own? I am going to be making a new stand for my 50 gal and searching for ideas.

Thanks

Phyxius
06/02/2006, 12:34 PM
Hobster

Did all stand/canopies on my own. Just got general dimensions of tank and went from there. Its pretty easy once you know all the measurements you need and want....

cmay

Sorry for the side track on your subject.

Carl_in_Florida
06/02/2006, 01:24 PM
[welcome]
cmay

cmay
06/03/2006, 12:57 AM
Mike, your workmanship is fantastic, great to see other hobbyist's work to obtain ideas and encouragement.

I only have a 4ft tank, im also in the process of designing my sump.

I cant believe how technical marine/reef keeping is, for me this has also enhanced the reasons I will enjoy the hobby.

Every time I decide what I intend to do I read a different article which makes me question my decision (so much to learn)

Im still slightly confused what bulbs I need, general impression it’s a matter of visual taste, apart from standard (10k - 14k kelvin) but im not to sure about the blue (20k) tubes my impression is that they are for deeper tanks but also to recreate moonlight which confuses me (would I keep them on over night)

Carl - Thanks for the fishy welcome.

thanks
Chris

Flobajob
06/03/2006, 09:50 AM
Cmay, I'm UK based too. If you're looking for cheap T5 ballasts try Dealec (http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/erc_mectronic_flat_ballasts.html).

cmay
06/07/2006, 04:17 AM
Well thanks for all your advise, I have now managed to obtain the kit to carry out my DIY Lighting.

2 x 250w HM
4 X 54W T5

Can t believe how much money I have saved.

RichConley
06/07/2006, 09:39 AM
Theres a lot of things you can go cheap on here, but I REALLY REALLY reccomend buying good quality reflectors. Dont buy junk here. Theres no sense in running halides if you're just gonna spray light all over the place.

Carl_in_Florida
06/07/2006, 08:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7513602#post7513602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmay

Can t believe how much money I have saved.

Was that saved or spent?

cmay
06/08/2006, 01:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7518927#post7518927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carl_in_Florida
Was that saved or spent?

saved :)