PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Mega Flow owners… Bulkhead plumbing question!

theroon
06/02/2006, 06:40 AM
HELP! Mega Flow owners… Bulkhead plumbing question!

I am stumped! I don’t know where to go from here and wonder if you can help me find the correct fitting(s). I purchased a 180 gallon Oceanic glass tank with the (2) Mega Flow systems. We installed the bulkhead with silicone (Yes, we should of done this later). The Megaflow system comes with some fittings (PVC insert – male) that restrict the flow and want to find a better option than what came with the system. I thought it would be a simple task to purchase a threaded fitting and I can’t find one that fits the bulkhead outside threads.

I purchased many fittings from SAVKO and none of them fit. The threads don’t match up???

I am planning to use flexible PVC for the flow and return to the sump.

I want to find a fitting that will be used for the outer thread of the bulkhead. The other end of the fitting needs to be secured to flexible PVC (ie 1 7/8 OD, 1 ½ ID).

Anyone here owns a Mega Flow system and how did you plumb your tank?

Can you specifically tell me what I can purchase to solve this problem!

http://sprunger.smugmug.com/photos/72945369-O.gif

http://sprunger.smugmug.com/photos/72945381-O.gif

Shooter7
06/02/2006, 07:00 AM
So you're saying that you want something that will fit screwing onto the same threads that the bulkhead nut goes on too? Can't say that I've ever heard of that approach before (and most people I know don't use silicone on their bulkheads either). The limiting factor with flow is the size of the hole inside the bulkhead. If the "male fitting" you're talking about is the part that goes down into the bulkhead, most likely the inside diameter of the hole of that fitting is the same as the inside diameter of your bulkhead, so you're not limiting anything really. My bulkheads are of the double slip variety. On the top I have a durso standpipe that has a piece on the bottom that slides down into the bulkhead top. On the lower part of the bulkhead, I just simply glued in a small section of pipe that fit inside the bulkhead snugly and then added a fitting that increased the diameter from there.

theroon
06/02/2006, 07:38 AM
You are correct; I was looking for a fitting that screws onto the outside thread where the nut goes onto. I didn’t realize this is not common. The Male fitting that came with the Megaflow system reduces the flow where it is installed inside of the bulkhead. I have made a picture: I would like to prevent this restriction to maximize flow. Or is this all nonsense to try to maximize this flow…

http://sprunger.smugmug.com/photos/72952637-L.gif

Shooter7
06/02/2006, 07:52 AM
Like I said, if you measure the inside diameter of the hole of the fitting and the hole inside the bulkhead, they are most likely the same. If so, the short piece of fitting on either side of your bulkhead is going to have minimal effect on your flow rates as the bulkhead's opening is the limiting factor here. It is good to increase the size of the pvc on either side of this restriction as it does help with flow overall. I have a 120 with dual megaflow overflows (although, I didn't use the mefaflow plumbing and built my own dursos) and I use PVC that fits inside the bulkheads - just a short piece on either side - and it works just fine.

Shooter7
06/02/2006, 08:37 AM
Looking at the pic again...is that a hose barb fitting you've got pictured there? I think some of them do have just slightly smaller size diameter holes in them. Another work around could be to use a short piece of pvc instead that matches the bulkhead hole.

theroon
06/02/2006, 08:57 AM
Yes, it is a hose fitting.

Thanks for your help with this. I will look for a fitting for the inside thread of the Bulkhead.