PDA

View Full Version : anouther mistake trusting the lfs opion

nathan_unsane
06/02/2006, 10:55 AM
ever purchased anything impulsive, and without research, trusting the lfs guy...

he has succesfully made me dislike my trigger, only becuase the chaos the fish is cuasing in my 37 gallon tank... he's been in there for about a month, and i'm awaiting his new home...

unfortunatly my 75 gallon hasn't come off layaway, and isn't even close to being cycled...

the trigger doesn't bother any other fish... but he did kill my sea slug, and started nipping at my starfish... for only being 2 inches long this guy is already a imp!!!!

Ereefic
06/02/2006, 11:00 AM
Research first.

TitansFan
06/02/2006, 11:05 AM
patience second.

nathan_unsane
06/02/2006, 11:05 AM
yea tell me about it... not only did he kill my sea slug, start nipping at my star, but he trys to eat everything, constantly taking nips at my rocks, killed most of my snails, my hermits, trys to eat my anemones, i literaly watched him move a small rock that i tried to block him away from, just to get into a hole where i keep some micro algea to eat at it!!!

i hate him right now

Ereefic
06/02/2006, 11:08 AM
Lesson learned? :)

Jeremy Blaze
06/02/2006, 11:12 AM
What kind of trigger is it?

My sig says it all.

Paintbug
06/02/2006, 12:09 PM
chances are putting him in a bigger tank isnt going to stop him from munching on the inverts.

nathan_unsane
06/02/2006, 12:21 PM
it's a unduleted (spelling) trigger

imbuggin
06/02/2006, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7485127#post7485127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nathan_unsane
it's a unduleted (spelling) trigger

well we have a winner you got screwed. It doesn't matter what size tank you put that fish in it will destroy everything. undulated triggers IMO are the single most aggressive fish you could buy. Clown triggers are not even close to as mean. Those triggers are best kept alone. You got real bad info

Jeremy Blaze
06/02/2006, 12:30 PM
I agree with imbuggin.

Those things are monsters!

Luis Ochoa
06/02/2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish!
Take it back to the store before he destroys everything.

TWallace
06/02/2006, 12:55 PM
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that undulated triggers are the piranhas of the sea.

Travis L. Stevens
06/02/2006, 12:55 PM
And ask for a refund on what it destroyed because of the false information they gave you ;) JK. Seriously, just don't get ancy about any fish. Though you can stock an aquarium fast, it's best for your own sake that you wait a month or so before adding the next piece. This way you can get as much info as possible on your next candidate. Also, did you QT?

ChickenCannoneer
06/02/2006, 02:10 PM
Another advantage to stocking slowly is that you get to enjoy getting the fish more. I don't now about everybody else but I enjoy adding new things to my tank and if you spread it out over a year or less maybe like a new addition a month or so then you really get to enjoy everything much more. Good luck, Tim

goalieman392
06/02/2006, 02:33 PM
id take it back or somethin and get a niger trigger if ya want a trigger... i have a 2 inch one in my 55 right now... he hasnt messed with anything at all... hes like a little kid or something.. cuz the shrimp will rear up to him and he will just kind of play with it lol... most of the time they recognize the stuff that is put in before them .. but when you put new stuff in its food lol... of course i have no experience with the undulated trigger, but id still put him in last in your 75 if you keep him.

nathan_unsane
06/02/2006, 09:34 PM
i took him back... the fish guy gave me store credit...

good thing...

DaddyJax
06/02/2006, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7485193#post7485193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
well we have a winner you got screwed. It doesn't matter what size tank you put that fish in it will destroy everything. undulated triggers IMO are the single most aggressive fish you could buy. Clown triggers are not even close to as mean. Those triggers are best kept alone. You got real bad info :lol: Sorry about your luck!! Thank God I knew about them when my loving wife was in the process of floating one when I got home and said "surprise, look what I got you!!". Needless to say that was a long night of explaining why it wasn't going to go in my tank!

omni2226
06/02/2006, 10:35 PM
MMmm I dont know....Undalated are mean, but I have to tip the scale in favor of the Queen Trigger for outright being nasty.

I have to get me a Queen one day. Gorgeous fish.

imbuggin
06/03/2006, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7488788#post7488788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by omni2226
MMmm I dont know....Undalated are mean, but I have to tip the scale in favor of the Queen Trigger for outright being nasty.

I have to get me a Queen one day. Gorgeous fish.

I have kept both in the past. a huge queen trigger at that about a foot. He could live with other fish. An undulated trigger of any size really will not live with much long. IMO undulated triggers and black edge eels are the two meanest marine fish. I do love queen triggers. Thier eyes are real cool. Don't get me wrong they are mean as well, just not quite as mean.

kappaknight
06/03/2006, 10:29 AM
You should have taken him back and threw him in their coral tank. :-)

KDodds
06/03/2006, 11:17 AM
You want mean? You can hardly beat some Dottybacks. Of course, they're much smaller, thus do less damage. :)

My top three meanest, most damage votes would go to the Undulate, Queen, and Titan Triggers.

exoticaquatix
06/03/2006, 12:49 PM
not too many fish can bite straight through cockle shells like a big queen trigger! im pretty sure that for the advice like you got a LFS employee should be bannished to siphoning the freshwater tanks and netting feeder fish forever!
the only triggers i would ever recommend putting in a reef would be the niger, crosshatch and pink tail (out of the ones we get). AND THATS ON A "AT YOUR OWN RISK" POLICY!!! i warn every customer i talk to about any POSSIBLE damage a fish can cause. damsels, dottybacks, triggers, dwarf angels,tangs, wrasses ect are all on my list of possible trouble makers. id rather tell someone to keep looking and do some research than make a sale any day! my goal is to, if possible, have every person walk out and walk into the store happy and confident in my knowledge and advice. if i dont know an answer im not afraid to ask the other guys i work with for advice and experience.
-nick

Tate
06/03/2006, 05:37 PM
Nick, you are definately in the minority. I wish every LFS dude was like you.

I was in mine a couple weeks ago and the LFS kid was telling some guy "sure, that porcupine puffer will do just fine in your 55". Cripes. I told the guy when he was alone not to get it and and told him about ReefCentral :)

Amphiprion
06/03/2006, 06:54 PM
The others are mean, but titan triggerfish are actually considered dangerous to divers. With the least amount of provocation, they will nip at divers (be sure your ears are covered!!!).

nathansinger
06/05/2006, 04:11 PM
I've ended up with some serious flesh wounds from even small to medium sized undulated and queen triggers. Little bastards.....

facewedgie
06/05/2006, 06:40 PM
yeah, ok., but...
the WORST (so far) aquarium injury i have ever recieved (non electrical shock related, lol) was from a supposedly peaceful (as far as triggers are considered) blue throat trigger...sunk his teeth in deep, shook, and didnt let go. blood inside the tank, pouring all over the floor, etc. i wanted to punch that fish so hard in the face that he screamed!