PDA

View Full Version : SG dropped, how to raise it?

azrien
06/02/2006, 12:39 PM
I'm very new at this, please bear with me! My SG has dropped from 1.024 to 1.020 or even as low as 1.018 I think over the course of a few days. I noticed it yesterday and I have been slowly trying to raise it up without shocking the reef more. I tried to raise by creating a high-salinity mix and dripping it in slowly as well as pouring a less intense mix in slowly. Not too long ago today I also did a small water change, replacing the changed water with water at 1.024. I also poured in a little more super-salty water. At last test I am at 1.022. Did I raise it too fast or even too slow? My clownfish is doing fine through all this, the hermit crabs are continuing on as though nothing happened, I put in three new snails yesterday and today two are moving around (the third is stationary but holding fast to the rock). My mushrooms are expanding well though one isn't expanding quite as nicely as it usually does. My yellow polyps were the first to show any issue by way of not fully extending. Right now their tubes are quite short but the tendrils seem to be coming out further. A few look a little larger than when I noticed the issue. My green star polyps also weren't looking as bushy as usual. At the moment they're mostly contracted but slowly starting to flow out; they retracted when I was refilling the tank as they received the brunt of the incoming water.

Should I aim to have the SG back to 1.024 or even 1.025 by the end of the day or should I move slowly, working on this over a few more days? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/02/2006, 12:47 PM
I would move it slowly by topping off for evaporation with normal strength seawater. I'd suggest targeting a level to match natural, seawater with a sg of about 1.0264. :)

This article has more on that target:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

azrien
06/02/2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks! May I ask, what would constitute "slowly?" Just the rate of evaporation as you suggested? I just want to make sure I'm clear on everything. It will take several days, maybe a few weeks then, this will be okay? I will shoot for 1.026, thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/02/2006, 01:41 PM
The slowness will be dictated by the amount you top off. That process will take a week or two depending on evaporation, etc. :)

azrien
06/02/2006, 02:05 PM
Sounds good, thank you for the advice!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/02/2006, 02:11 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)