PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using roughneck trashcans for ro/di storage?

itstheantitang
06/02/2006, 07:28 PM
Hello,

I've been thinking about different options for storing some ro/di water. What seems rediculous is that brute trash cans, what seems most typicallty used, are $45, and roughneck trashcans are only $12.

Is there any alternative ro/di containers than the brute trash can?

Thanks.

Pbrown3701
06/02/2006, 08:08 PM
I use a Rubermaid something or other that I found for cheap at walmart. I think the only thing to look for is some have small holes in the bottom. ALso, consider how heavy a filled trashcan is, it can and will sag in the middle and could fail if it is not thick enough plastic and/or reinforced. I don't think there is any plastic that is really unsafe for reef.

ambaratur
06/02/2006, 11:28 PM
Some plastics can have an algecide included in them - those should be avoided. I am not sure as to the brand.

I do know that the Rubermade Brute garbage cans are often recommended - you can buy them at Home Depot and they also have a nice base available that snaps in and has wheels. Makes it easy to move them.

I think the brute durability is why they are more expensive - water can cause a lot of stress in a large garbage can.

dkh0331
06/03/2006, 03:47 AM
A few years back when I set up my basement sump I used the roughneck's, one for topoff/kalk and another for water change. Every 3-4 months, they would develop a leak. After the third set started to leak, I picked up the brutes. That was 2+ years ago.

IMPHO, spend the few extra bucks now.

David

itstheantitang
06/03/2006, 03:35 PM
Ok thanks.

I might not go for a trash cans, but a different container.

lmkjma
06/03/2006, 03:57 PM
I've been using a Roughneck for about 1 1/2 years. No problems. Just clean/rinse it when you get it.

sfsuphysics
06/03/2006, 04:21 PM
I believe "brute" and "roughneck" are just different grades of thickness that Rubbermaid uses as a way to show how tough the item is. With Brute being a thicker grade than roughneck, they should be fine. I use a roughneck to mix up RO/DI water all the time, have used them to cook rocks, although I did have one with a hairline hole that leaks and I don't know what caused it, so its a crap shoot either way.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/03/2006, 04:28 PM
Brute cans are great ;)

rickh
06/03/2006, 05:35 PM
Do you know how much mess ~35 gallons of water makes when it's on the floor? Spend the $$, get the Brute. Buy a $12 dollar can and you may spend $25 more on carpet cleaner when it leaks. R

andyjd
06/03/2006, 06:38 PM
I got a Brute, look for the container being food safe.

adnup
06/03/2006, 06:49 PM
You can also look for food grade 55 gal drums at a local food distributor. I've found them for $10 each BUT! they will need some cleaning! Old olive juice and grape juice never smells to good after a while!

sourmug76
06/03/2006, 08:36 PM
I also use some white poly 55 gal barrels. I got them from a salvage place that gets them from a local soda bottler. They still had syrup residue in them but cleaned up great and only cost 12 each.

bguile
06/03/2006, 09:32 PM
Unless you could find out if the other trashcans are "food grade" you should get the brute. The plastic that is used to make it is safe against edibles. Other containers may not be as safe. 35 gallons of water weighs approx 280 lbs and can make thin plastic warp quickly. I have used a Brute for 2 years and have never had a problem. Some of the best money i've spent in the hobby!

TitaniuIVI
06/04/2006, 01:15 AM
I use the roughneck, got it at walmart for $9. They work great. Not only that, but I drilled a hole in it and stuck a float valve to it that is connected to my RO/DI system. So I now have a 35gal resevoir of RO/DI water. I also drilled another hole on it and stuck a bulk head in. Now I keep a pump inside of it hooked up to the bulkhead and have some tubing that reaches tank so that I have RO/DI on tap whether for top off, or water changes. I also have another roughneck 35gal which I use for mixing saltwater. So I have 35gals of RO/DI, and 35 gals of SW on demand for only $18.

Michelle L
06/04/2006, 07:40 AM
Where are you finding Brute cans that cost $45? That seems a bit high. We got ours at Menard's (similar to Home Depot for those of you who don't have Menard's in your area) for $24.95, and our Home Depot has the same price on their Brutes.

They are really fantastic sources of storage. I filled ours with about 175 lbs. of rock and water on top and it didn't even flinch.

itstheantitang
06/04/2006, 09:02 AM
the brutes are $45 at home depot for a 44 gallon can.

I will look into the food service drums. That sounds like a better plan.

Thanks all! :)

Ewan
06/04/2006, 09:54 AM
There are 44 gallon and 32 gallon. I've got the 32 for kalkwasser, and the 44 for new salt water.

The general consensus is that the roughnecks can leach phosphate in to the water. That was my initial reason for purchasing the food-grade brutes. After 3 years of owning them and using them weekly, I'm now very impressed with the durability.

You can't go wrong with the brutes. Aquatic Ecosystems also sells plastic containers for storing water, but the shipping can be expensive.

-E.

ReefNuggets
06/29/2006, 01:57 AM
Have been using the roughnecks for a while with no problems...switched after this crappy trash can I was using emptied its contents into my second story laundry room/kitchen and then proceeded to flow into my first floor garage. I love when that happens the day before your online rock order is set to arrive!

itstheantitang
06/29/2006, 09:39 AM
I ended up using some bins with rope handles. Cheap, and the plastic is pretty thick.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/aamcmmm/AUT_8207.jpg

Crappy pics, but the idea is gotten.