PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new tank

sean1
06/03/2006, 04:18 PM
I currently have a 90 gallon reef tank but would like to start a seahorse tank. Is a 20 high tank big enough? If i were to try to breed them, would the fry eat rotifers? Would I be able to keep them with any other type of fish like a goby for instance?

mushnmeesh
06/04/2006, 11:57 AM
I'm also looking into stating a seahorse tank looking forward for some answers.

CodyH
06/04/2006, 04:52 PM
What species do you intend to keep. Each species is a different size.
A 20g is too small according to most people unless you intend to keep smaller seahorse species like capensis, procerus, or breviceps. They all require cool temps below 70F though, so you would need a chiller or fans.

Rotifers are typically only used for fry of reidi and maybe kuda. However, they are both larger species that would need a larger tank than 20g high to breed and thrive. Most fry accept live baby brine shrimp readily. Fry would also need separate tanks from the parents.

gallan
06/05/2006, 06:09 AM
there is a website called seahorse.org with tons of info. i am in the process of setting up a seahorse tank and found this site very useful. i have a 30 gallon high tank, 20 gallon sump/refugium, live rock, and a deep sand bed, along with a berlin xl skimmer set up and cycling now. plans are too go with a pair of either H. erectus or H. redi.
heres the address if you are interested:
http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?act=idx