PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Help! Dotty Jumped!

rivank
06/03/2006, 08:33 PM
My neon dottyback jumped out of the tank! I'm sure he was helped out by my female perc. When we found him he was barely moving his gills. I have him isolated in a breeding net right now. Does anybody have any ideas that might help him?

kau_cinta_ku
06/03/2006, 08:46 PM
well now you know the need for a tight lid on the tank:D but really the only thing you can do is what you are doing. try to keep him safe in a area where he wont get scared for a while till he gets his breathing back and then get a good fitting lid like eggcrate to cover the tank.

good luck

rivank
06/03/2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah my wife just chewed on me about that too. Dotty has been in the tank for a few months now so I was kinda surprised he jumped. We lost our goby to a fatal carpet surfing incident as well a few eeks ago. Got a lid I use for winter time to help keep heat in but can't run with on duting the simmer now. Gotta get the eggcrate. Does it interfer with the lights at all? Or can you find clear stuff so it is not an issue?

rivank
06/04/2006, 06:39 AM
Sad to report he did not make it thru the night. Did my best but just didn't find him in time after he jumped I suppose. Will the eggcrate restrict air movement over the tank? I can noly put a small fan up there to help with temp control.

Randall_James
06/04/2006, 07:24 AM
It will not affect air flow enough to worry about. If you have a canopy over the tank, just eggcrate the back opening. My firefish have a nasty habit of leaping out of the water all the time and banging off the inside of the canopy. Goby's and dottybacks are famous for this stunt

fsa
06/04/2006, 09:06 AM
I have my diy compacts sitting on egg crate covering my tank. It's been like that for maybe 5 years now.

Frank